Audio By Carbonatix
Convener for the #FixTheCountry campaign has disclosed that there are ongoing talks with the family of Ibrahim 'Kaaka' Mohammed, the social activist who was murdered in Ejura, to rethink their decision not to testify before the three-member Committee set up to investigate the June 29, 2021 unrest.
According to Oliver Barker-Vormawor, the mother of Kaaka has been invited by the Chiefs of Ejura to persuade them (the family) to testify.
"I do know that there are considerable efforts being put on the family to persuade them to attend the hearing," he said Saturday on Newsfile.
The family had initially written to the Interior Minister and the Ejurahene to inform them about their decision not to partake in the ongoing probe.
In the letter addressed to the Minister for Interior, the Committee of Inquiry, and the Ejurahene, the family stated that the events of the hearing have left them less certain of the scope, focus, real intent, and integrity of the inquiry.
They further contend that since the scope of the Committee’s terms of reference does not relate to the circumstances that led to Kaaka’s murder or burial, but rather the deployment of the military personnel and death of two persons on the day, they are least competent to assist the Committee in its mandate.
Mr Barker-Vormawor told host, Samson Lardy Anyenini that Kaaka's family has been invited to see the Chiefs of the Ejura township over the letter.
"I have the understanding that the Chiefs want to persuade them to attend the hearing. Yesterday, (July 9, 2021) the Chiefs summoned the mother of Kaaka and now they are inviting other persons from the family," he said.
Ibrahim Kaaka Mohammed died June 28, after a mob attack. The youth of Ejura, who believe his death is related to his affiliation with the #FixTheCountry campaign, hit the streets on June 29, 2021, in demand of Justice for Kaaka.
Soldiers who had been deployed to restore calm in the community ended up firing shots into the protesting crowd, a situation that claimed the lives of two others and left several injured.
Subsequently, a Committee of Inquiry was set up to investigate circumstances that led to the June 29, incident.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
42 minutes -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
52 minutes -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
1 hour -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
1 hour -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
1 hour -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
2 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
2 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
2 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
2 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
2 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
3 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
3 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
3 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
3 hours
