Audio By Carbonatix
Elon Musk messaged the owner of a Twitter account that tracks his private jet, with an offer of $5,000 if he took the account offline, the tech news site Protocol reported Wednesday.
The "Elon Musk's Jet" account shows the movements of Musk's private jet, using bots that monitor publicly available air-traffic data.
According to Protocol, the owner of the account, the 19-year-old Jack Sweeney, received a message in fall last year at 12:13 a.m. from Musk. It said: "Can you take this down? It is a security risk."
Sweeney replied: "Yes I can but it'll cost you a Model 3 only joking unless?" Protocol reported.
Musk said: "I don't love the idea of being shot by a nutcase," according to Protocol.
Musk offered Sweeney $5,000 after a few messages back and forth, Protocol reported.
"Any chance to up that to $50k? It would be great support in college and would possibly allow me to get a car maybe even a Model 3," Sweeney responded, per Protocol.
According to the outlet, Musk said he would think about it but has not been back in touch.
When Sweeney told Musk where he was aggregating the data from, Musk responded: "Air traffic control is so primitive," Protocol reported.
It's not clear whether Protocol viewed the Twitter messages.
Musk tweeted earlier this month that social-media accounts tracking his movements are "becoming a security issue."
Sweeney did not immediately respond when contacted out of hours for comment. Insider was not immediately able to contact Elon Musk.
Latest Stories
-
‘People shouldn’t be dying just for existing’ – Coco Gauff on US issues
1 hour -
Kingsford Boakye-Yiadom nets first league goal for Everton U21 in Premier League 2
3 hours -
Lamine Yamal misses penalty as Girona stun Barca in derby
4 hours -
NDC’s growth driven by keeping promises and enforcing discipline – Fifi Kwetey
4 hours -
Nigeria says 100 more U.S. military personnel arrive to tackle Islamists
4 hours -
Austrian man faces terror charges over Taylor Swift concert attack plot
5 hours -
People won’t join us only because we won – Fifi Kwetey links NDC growth to conduct in power
5 hours -
COCOBOD announces salary cuts, cost controls as revenue pressures mount
5 hours -
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
5 hours -
Ratcliffe, Man Utd and the immigration comments fallout
6 hours -
Actor Robert Duvall, who starred in The Godfather, dies aged 95
6 hours -
Strengthen Ghana’s counter-extremism framework after Burkina Faso attack – Bawumia
6 hours -
Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of Epstein files ‘cover-up’ in BBC interview
6 hours -
Personal ties won’t stop me from scrutinising government policies – Afenyo-Markin
6 hours -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
6 hours
