Audio By Carbonatix
Ethiopia and Sudan have continued to trade accusations over a border dispute as tensions between the two East African neighbours escalate.
Ethiopia’s foreign ministry says Sudanese armed forces have pushed into Ethiopian territory, occupying farms and looting properties.
The ministry’s spokesperson, Dina Mufti, said the incursion had inflamed the border conflict despite ongoing talks to settle the issue peacefully.
But in a separate statement, Sudan condemned what it termed as aggression by Ethiopia’s militias in the al-Quraysha region in the east.
Sudan’s foreign ministry asked the international community to intervene and condemn the attacks by armed groups it says are from Ethiopia’s Amhara region.
The two countries share a 750km (466-mile) border and conflicts have been common over the decades particularly along the al-Fashaga area.
This week, the Sudanese authorities said that six civilians, including women and a child, were killed after Ethiopian forces launched an attack in the area.
Skirmishes between the two sides have intensified since late last year, killing dozens of civilians and soldiers and forcing thousands more from their homes.
Talks to end the conflict, including meetings between the Ethiopian and Sudanese prime ministers, have so far failed to resolve the crisis.
The two countries are also separately involved in three-way talks with Egypt over the future of Africa’s biggest hydropower dam, the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, being built along the River Nile.
Latest round of talks being mediated by the African Union collapsed on Sunday with no agreement.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t “over impressed” IMF with deep expenditure cut in 2025 – Prof Bokpin
10 minutes -
FDA intensifies checks on imported frozen chicken, meat and fish to boost food safety
24 minutes -
Policy rate at 14%: Middle East crisis is the elephant in the room – BoG boss
30 minutes -
Accra High Court grants GH¢100,000 bail to Abronye DC
33 minutes -
Policy rate held at 14% as Middle East Crisis clouds inflation outlook – BoG Governor
46 minutes -
Police launch manhunt for suspect in Sekondi for alleged defilement
50 minutes -
Arrests must continue until misconduct ceases – David Vondee
59 minutes -
WFP and partners assess impact of US-funded school feeding programme
1 hour -
Lastec Auto Centre: The man who sold his Mercedes to build a garage brand in Accra
2 hours -
Ghanaian start-ups can unlock €100K in non-dilutive funding + scaling support via develoPPP Ventures
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, May 21, 2026
2 hours -
UG Professor wins international lifetime achievement award for work on neglected tropical diseases
2 hours -
Prophet John Anokye urges Christians to combine faith with financial wisdom
2 hours -
Minister Sam George inspects ‘One Million Coders’ centres in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Legacy Expo 2026 set to mark a decade of impact in Africa’s beauty & wellness industry
3 hours