This is why the prices of fuel came down marginally and not significantly as you expected.
The NPA used a forex estimate rate of 14.01 to $1 for the second pricing window. In 2023, the first pricing window being the 1st of January, the NPA is using a forex estimation rate of 10.07 to $1.
Crude oil on the world market is also estimated to be reduced. So in the next pricing window, January 1st, prices of fuel will go down significantly. Petrol may be sold at 10 cedis per litre.
I’m predicting this because in Ghana, the price of fuel is determined by a formula that takes into consideration the following four and sometimes five factors:
1. The world market price of crude.
2. The freight cost from source to Ghana, storage costs and all other associated costs incurred before supply to retail outlets. This is mostly referred to as the Suppliers’ Premium or margin.
3. The exchange rate; the dollar to cedi rate
4. The taxes/levies by government
5. The OMC margins (OMC “individual fuel stations” profits). With the price of freight coming down because of the appreciation of the cedi and the reduction of crude oil prices on the world market, you can expect some significant reduction in petroleum products by January 1.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- DDEP: We’ll continue to converge there until we’re exempted – Dr. Anane Antwi
- 40 Ejuraman students injured in dining structure collapse
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- Demand for dollars ease; BoG sold only $9.2m on spot market
- Majority leader stops taking fuel allocation in response to Ghana’s economic woes
- Digital Cooperation Organisation makes case for collaboration at LEAP in Saudi Arabia
- Asante Akim Marathon winner to compete in world cross country competition
- DDEP: Government commends bondholders who have tendered their bonds
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- Merqury Quaye to headline first DJ concert in Ghana on March 5
- Playback: One-on-one with Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- ‘The Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want’ – Bagbin prays for Haruna Iddrisu and co
- Epixode hopes to be as big as Grammy winner Kabaka Pyramid ‘one day’
- Teachers are poised to teach, but no logistics – GNAT
- Sex is a very healthy aerobic exercise – Dr. Yaw Osarfo
- Four men jailed for molesting a teenager at Agogo
- ‘I’m excited to show everyone at Southampton what I can do’ – Kamaldeen Sulemana
- 32-year-old nurse commits suicide in Kpasera, Savannah Region
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu