The Sunyani office of the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) responsible for the Bono, Bono East and Ahafo Regions has initiated a special market surveillance to clamp down on traders engaged in fake, unregistered and adulterated products.
A Principal Regulatory Officer at the office, Francisca Patoah Agyarko said under the initiative, personnel of the Authority undertook random visits to the various markets to also check the manufacturing and expiry dates of cosmetics, foods, and drugs.
“This is to help rid the market of fake, unregistered, expired and adulterated products to protect the public,” she told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in an interview in Sunyani.
Mrs Agyarko said the exercise was necessitated due to the polarised nature of the Ghana-Cote D’Ivoire borders in the region, which was contributing to the smuggling of some unwholesome products into the country.
She urged consumers to remain vigilant and endeavour to check the expiry dates and logos of the FDA whenever they intended to buy products, particularly oil, rice, canned products, and medications.
The Principal Regulatory Officer also appealed to the public to provide information about traders suspected to be engaged in the smuggling of food items to the Authority, and said “We need the collective support of everybody to rid the market of contaminated products.”
- Rumours of jostling for new NDC veep are needless distractions – Prof. Opoku-Agyeman
- Malta Guinness cleans Sakumono Beach as part of 2023 World Cleanup Day
- Russian Ambassador to Ghana speaks on current global geopolitical situation
- Government urged to partner private sector to drive ESG in organisations
- Musical chairs in banking sector as Abena Osei-Poku heads to Ecobank Ghana with UMB boss set to resign
- Music Review: M.anifest pays homage to 50 years of hip-hop with freestyle
- Kwahu-Nkwatia Nkosuohene receives peace ambassador award
- Ghana’s wake-up call to the 2023 SDG Summit: The urgent need to double-up efforts for Agenda 2030
- National anthem fills the air as police blocks #OccupyJulorbiHouse protestors again
- We truly voted for a dictator – Efia Odo on #OccupyJulorBiHouse arrests
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Celebrities should stop being cowards and show up – Efia Odo
- CWG Ghana launches 20th anniversary celebrations
- Why Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge chose the Berlin Marathon to prepare for the Paris Olympics
- Vodafone Director calls on SMEs to seize opportunities at upcoming Business Runway event
- FIFA and United Nations Industrial Development Organization meet to discuss collaboration opportunities