Audio By Carbonatix
Oscar-winning filmmaker Paul Haggis has been ordered to pay at least $7.5m (£6.42m) in damages for suffering after being found liable for raping a woman.
Jurors may also award plaintiff Haleigh Breest punitive damages in a hearing on Monday over the alleged 2013 assault.
Hugging her lawyers after the civil trial in New York, Ms Breest said she was "very grateful" for the verdict.
Mr Haggis, 69, denies the allegations and has pledged to "continue to, with my team, fight to clear my name".
Warning: Some readers may find details of the case given below distressing.
As he left the courthouse accompanied by his three adult daughters, the writer of Million Dollar Baby and Crash said he was "very disappointed in the results".
Ms Breest - one of five women who accused the Canadian screenwriter of unwanted advances dating back to 1996 - said she was thankful "that the jury chose to follow the facts - and believed me". None of the other four took legal action.
In 2017, Ms Breest, a publicist, sued Mr Haggis, saying he had raped her at his home in the SoHo district of New York City four years before.
She alleged that he had pressured her to join him for a drink after offering her a lift home from a film premiere. He then allegedly compelled her to perform oral sex and allegedly raped her despite her entreaties to stop.
Ms Breest said she had suffered psychological and professional consequences from the attack.
The director said the publicist had been flirtatious and, though sometimes appearing "conflicted", had initiated kisses and oral sex in an entirely consensual interaction. He said he could not remember if they had had intercourse.
It was suggested at the trial that the director had been incapable of carrying out an attack just eight weeks after he underwent back surgery.
The trial also focussed on the Church of Scientology, of which Mr Haggis was a member until 2009. His lawyers argued the Church was out to discredit him and might have been involved with the lawsuit.
In a statement, the Church said it had no involvement in the case, and accused Mr Haggis of trying to shame his accusers with an "absurd and patently false" claim. Ms Breest's lawyers called it "a shameful and unsupported conspiracy theory".
In June, Mr Haggis was arrested in southern Italy on suspicion of aggravated sexual assault in a different case. Denying any wrongdoing, he spent 16 days under house arrest before the case was dismissed.
Latest Stories
-
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
58 minutes -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
1 hour -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
1 hour -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
2 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
2 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
2 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
3 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
3 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
3 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
3 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
4 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
4 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
5 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
5 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
5 hours