The Volta Regional Chapter of the Ghana National Canoe Fishermen Council has highlighted the significant gains being experienced in the fisheries sector of the country.
The Fisherfolks outlined attaining sanity in Ghanaian waters, reducing illegal fishing, and streamlining the distribution of premix fuel, as the gains made, which have contributed to a revamp of the sector.
Addressing the press in Adina, the fisherfolks indicated that they had witnessed an injection of sanity in the fisheries sector.
The Volta Regional Vice Chair of the Ghana National Canoe Fishermen Council, Torgbui Seth Kedey indicated that the closed-season initiative being implemented by Madam Hawa Koomson’s administration has led to an increase in their yields, adding that some African countries are preparing to emulate the initiative.
He also listed the reduced activities of trawlers as a major boost to the sector, and artisanal fishing.
“About the trawlers, we had 74, but as of now, those who are going according to the rules and regulations of the government, the fishing act, are only 7. For Saiko, she has stopped that”, he said.
A net owner, Joseph Afetorgbor explained that they have seen an improvement and transparency in the distribution of outboard motors and other fishing gear procured by the government as compared to previous incidents in the past.
An Executive Member of the Ghana National Canoe Fishermen Council, Torgbui Doe Nkekeshie, appealed to President Akufo-Addo to maintain the Fisheries Minister, Hawa Koomson, in any ministerial reshuffle.
“We are of the firm conviction that this current minister is turning around the near-collapsed fisheries industry of Ghana for the better and must be allowed to complete the positive transformational agenda that she has started.
Though the challenges are many, she is tackling it head on and we can all attest to the fact that she is doing marvelously well and must be maintained“, he stressed.
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Desist from gifting out cedi bouquets, hampers; it is illegal – BoG warns
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- Beige Bank collapse: Witness accuses Nyinaku of taking bank’s US$200,000 illegally
- Gbewaa College incurs over GHȻ70k debt weekly to feed teacher trainees – Principal
- GAEC partners EU, IAEA UNICRI to fight organised criminal activities
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display
- Police to probe death of Yul Edochie’s son
- Morocco King hailed for the Atlas Lions’ growing status
- Managers of Hillburi hotel arrested for alleged power theft
- Blatant power theft in Ghana very worrying – ECG
- Ebo Whyte’s ‘Just The Tip’ excites patrons
- ‘He’s clueless’ – Derek Boateng lashes out at Milovan Rajevac
- Son of murdered Mujipe chief reveals names of assailants
- Policy framework for aluminium downstream industry in the offing – CEO of GIADEC
- Trump indictment: A simple guide to what it means
- “Time for Dogboe to strap the title belt” – Patrice Harris