Audio By Carbonatix
Floyd Mayweather Jr has defended his decision to fight Andre Berto in September in what he insists will be his final ever bout.
Mayweather (48-0) has been criticised for choosing what some believe is a weaker opponent - compared to other eligible fighters - he will have no problem beating in his welterweight title defence.
American Berto is 30-3, but that includes losing three of his past six fights having gone 27-0 previously.
Speaking to reporters in Los Angeles on Thursday, Mayweather said the September 12 bout would be his last - and explained his decision to take on Berto.
"I chose Berto because he's very exciting. I've been getting backlash. He's been getting backlash," the 38-year-old said.
"No one is forced to buy the fight. I appreciate it, but no one is forced to buy the fight. Andre Berto is going to push Floyd Mayweather to the limit.
"The difference between Andre Berto and Manny Pacquiao is that you guys put all the hype in Manny Pacquiao. That"s what the media did."
Mayweather described the fight as "very intriguing", with the bout to be his first since beating Pacquiao in May.
And he insisted it would be his last.
"Number 49, this is it. I"ve had a tremendous career," Mayweather said.
"I"m older, and wiser. My health is a major concern for me. September 12th is my last fight."
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
8 minutes -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
30 minutes -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
1 hour -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
1 hour -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
2 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
3 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
3 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
3 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
4 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
5 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
6 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
6 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
6 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
7 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
8 hours