A former Deputy Attorney-General, Joseph Kpemka says the arrest of the former Minister of Environment, Science and Technology by the Office of the Special Prosecutor, was lawful.
According to him, the arrest of Prof Kwabena Frimpong-Boateng falls in line with the mandate of the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP).
Speaking on JoyNews’ AM Show on Thursday, June 8, Mr Kpemka explained that, “They [OSP] has the power of arrest, they have the power of investigation and prosecution, and then the power of asset recovery, so what they did was not unlawful. Arrest is part of their mandate.”
It emerged on Wednesday June 7, that Prof Frimpong-Boateng, who doubled as Chairman of the defunct Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining (IMCIM), was arrested on May 2023 by the OSP.
According to reports, Prof Frimpong-Boateng who had been invited by the OSP to answer questions related to suspected corruption and corruption-related offences involving the dissolved IMCIM, was eventually arrested and granted a GHS2 million bail.
Prior to his arrest, he had authored a revealing report which suggested that during his tenure as Chairman of the defunct Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining (IMCIM), efforts to combat ‘galamsey’ were interfered with by some persons in government, which undermined his work.
On the back of this, the professor in an interview with JoyNews on Wednesday, June 7, stated that he felt victimised over his invitation by the OSP which eventually led to his arrest.
He insisted that he did nothing wrong to warrant the treatment being meted out to him.
Prof Frimpong-Boateng, however, maintained that he is not afraid to face prosecution by the Office of the Special Prosecutor.
The Special Prosecutor, on the other hand, has assured that it will take the “necessary actions” against all persons cited for being indulged in corrupt activities is Prof Frimpong-Boateng’s report.
- Ghana’s gross reserves stood at 1.0 month of import cover in August 2023; trade surplus hits $2.016bn – BoG
- Alan to speak on Monday on political future after quitting NPP flagbearer race
- Livestream: The Probe discusses impact of #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest
- Dr. Sa-ad Iddrisu: Historians must document all human rights violations under Akufo-Addo’s watch
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Osagyefo & The Madiba: Global Africa in Search of Transformational Leadership in the 21st Century
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw