President Akufo-Addo has, since he was sworn into office, pledged to rid the country of the need for hand-outs.
He touted his administration as one that will vigorously institute home-grown measures to ensure that country is self-sufficient.
In this light, the ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ mantra was birthed by the Akufo-Addo government.
However, an economist at the University of Ghana believes the essence of the slogan is lost.
“Ghana beyond aid is already beyond us. Of course, we knew from Day 1 that Ghana Beyond Aid was not anti-aid of aid rejection. It is actually in need of more aid,” he said on JoyNews.
Prof Godfred Bokpin is of the view that, this commitment is out of Ghana’s reach as the country battles for a lifeline in a desperate request for an economic bailout from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
The lecturer was speaking on Newsfile on Saturday, August 13, 2022.
“Over the years, we have not been able to collect sufficient tax revenue relative to the size of our economy. That’s a big problem. While that is a problem, we have been largely inefficient at the expenditure side also,” he told Samson Lardy Anyenini.
He suggested that blocking such leakages in the revenue collection regime is one sure way of mitigating the country’s financial woes.
- Veteran actor Ekow Blankson has passed on
- Gabby Otchere-Darko hangs out with Arsenal players after win over Spurs
- I am not into galamsey – Chairman Wontumi
- Akufo-Addo directs SIGA Boss to probe infractions in 2021 Auditor General’s report
- I don’t feel sabotaged – ECG MD on credit purchase challenges
- National Security arrests Imam for having links to jihadist group
- I broke down after old tweets resurfaced – KiDi
- ‘Task Ofori-Atta to seek help from Seth Tekper in addressing our economic miseries’ – Gyampo to Akufo-Addo
- Cedi loses 40% value to dollar in nine months of 2022; places 147th position in world – Bloomberg
- Sam George deletes Facebook post about alleged attack on ECG system
- Do not bastardise ECG’s IT department for technical hitch – John Jinapor
- JICA organises third seminar on construction technology for Ghanaian engineers
- Forty Under 40 awards: Xodus Communications Limited releases full list of winners
- North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan
- ECG vendors should have been made to work round the clock to address challenges – Kofi Kapito
- Forty Under 40: WhiteChalk CEO wins Event Management and Planner of the Year
- Aluu 4: Ten years from the lynching that shocked Nigeria
- Sunyani West residents outraged over deplorable roads
- COCOBOD secures US$1.13billion to purchase cocoa
- Akonta Mining Limited has no permit to undertake any mining operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Minerals Commission
- Celebrities mourn Ekow Blankson
- Pro-Alan groups step up efforts to win Ashanti NPP
- Sacking Samuel Boadu at the ‘wrong time’ brings pressure on the new coach – Amankwah Mireku
- Playback: PM Express discuss ECG vending challenges
- COCOBOD signs $1.13bn syndicated loan for 2022/2023 cocoa crop season