Former Agriculture Minister, Dr Afriyie Akoto is blowing his horns about the progress he made in the agricultural sector while in government.
Speaking during his campaign launch on Monday, at the University of Professional Studies (UPSA) in Accra, he said “Under my leadership, Ghana has improved its food security index and made food available to all, all year round.”
According to him, the country has also been transformed into the bread basket of West Africa, thus maintaining self sufficiency in the country’s staple crops.
He added that the transformation in the agric sector is a practical example of agriculture providing resilience to the Ghanaian economy.
This, according to him, was made possible irrespective of the “limited resources and global crises such as Covid-19, and climate change amongst others.”
Dr Afriyie Akoto said that currently, there is a bill before Parliament for the establishment of a grain development authority.
This, bill in his view, seeks to amend the Grain Development Authority law of 1970 under Dr Busia, Act 324.
He noted that the Grain Development Authority will be responsible for promoting research and development production, marketing and exports, adding that it will be a regulatory body.
It would be recalled that on January 10, Dr Owusu Afriyie Akoto tendered his resignation from being the Agric Minister to President Akufo-Addo.
His resignation was to pave the way for him to focus on his political ambition.
Dr Afriyie Akoto is one of the NPP stalwarts eyeing the flagbearership position of the party for the 2024 elections.
Meanwhile, Dr Owusu Afriyie Akoto is dispelling a certain perception about his persona, insisting that he is not an arrogant person as some people perceive him to be.
Dr Akoto says the contrary is the truth.
“Frequently, I have often been perceived as being too serious and arrogant but that is far from the reality,” he said in Accra.
- Mobile Money transactions in only 2 months of 2023 hit ¢264.1bn
- We would all have sworn to Antoa if my dad was alive – Zanetor Rawlings
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Kamala Harris urges Ghana’s creditors to help meet debt obligation amid IMF talks
- Speculation that NDC imposed its decision on Minority Caucus is untrue – Sammy Gyamfi
- Popular American filmmaker Spike Lee is in Ghana
- T-Bills auction: sales undersubscribed by 23%; interest rates remain stable
- BoG increases policy rate to 29.5%; loans to remain expensive
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- We’re committed to helping Ghana resolve current economic crisis – China assures
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- Harris’ visit should accelerate US-Ghana partnerships – Genser
- NDC’s ‘betrayal’ may have been the result of several factors – Dr. Seidu Alidu
- Taking pictures, videos of ballots was not a party directive – Murtala Mohammed
- NDC as a party did not fail Ghanaians – Kofi Adams
- There had been broad consultation, consensus to reject President’s ministerial nominees – Murtala Mohammed
- Israel Laryea is away “on loan” at Influencer Africa
- Patriotism won over partisanship – Annoh-Dompreh on approval of six ministerial nominees
- Playback: PM Express discuss NDCs betrayal
- Fight against galamsey will be won if Akufo-Addo loses power – Kwakye Ofosu
- People fail in life due to their mindset – Motivational speaker
- Become the voice of climate change reporting – Climate Change Fellows urged
- Destination Ghana Global Project announces This Is Africa Festival
- Kamala Harris features Black Sherif, Amaarae on Spotify playlist
- Kwaebibirem United FC to raise funds to support operation of the club