Ghana raised its target for the sale of Eurobonds to as much as $2.5 billion, of which the country wants to use more than half to pay existing debt, said Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta.
The West African nation will use $1 billion to help meet its 2018 budget and may issue another $1.5 billion to refinance dollar debt, should it be able to sell the bonds at a cheaper rate, Ofori-Atta said by phone on Wednesday.
Ghana may also issue as much as 500 million cedis ($113 million) in global depositary notes to increase the participation of foreigners in its weekly sale of local notes, he said.
“We will examine the trading pattern of the issues that we have, and if we get better pricing, we’ll ship some out,” Ofori-Atta said.
The ministry will table the plan to lawmakers on Wednesday, according to a copy of parliament’s order paper. Ofori-Atta said in February that Ghana may issue as much as $2 billion on foreign debt.
Ghana will join other sub-Saharan African issuers such as Ivory Coast and South Africa that are rushing to sell debt before the U.S. Federal Reserve’s policy-tightening path pushes yields higher. Last week, Senegal attracted more than $10 billion in bids for an issuance of about $2.2 billion in dollar and euro-denominated debt.
- Task force destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
- Armed men attack NPP Communicator
- Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
Farmers in Upper East unhappy about increase in prices of government subsidised fertilizers
Executive recruitment for position of EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
SSCIS and partners to offer fully-funded masters programme to girls in Ghana and Nigeria
Government’s initiatives to fight Covid-19 even better than those of advanced economies – Bawumia
Police await final report on 2-year-old boy sacrificed by father
Victoria Awusi Hlovor
Rapper J. Cole makes his debut in African basketball league
Dr Opuni, others file motion for stay of proceedings
Business Executive held over spousal murder halts wife burial
Miss Universe contestants unveil protest messages in politically charged pageant
Sometimes the girl who is always there for everyone else needs someone there for her
I don’t write songs for people anymore – King Promise
NDC has done more for healthcare in Ghana than NPP – Sammy Gyamfi responds to Nana Aba Anamoah
“I’m not proud of it” – referee for Hearts v Sharks game apologises for errors
Ghanaians to re-register SIM cards in June or risk losing phone numbers