The Administrator for the Ghana Investment Fund for Electronic Communication (GIFEC), Prince Ofosu Sefah has told Joy Business that the agency is hoping to upgrade all rural telephone facilities to 4G in the second phase of the rural telephony programme.
According to him, the move will ensure that the quality of voice and data services are provided to rural folks so they could also benefit from the digital Ghana agenda.
Speaking to Joy Business after the commissioning of the Adiemra rural telephony site in the Bono Region, he said Ghana is ready to be at the forefront of digitalisation.
“As the minister was alluding to, although we want to complete the 2016 sites before the end of next year, GIFEC also have other exciting stuffs coming up. We shall be rolling out more to have a full coverage of the entire country.”
“We are hoping that in the second phase of the Rural Telephony project which we’re certain will materialised, all our sites will be upgraded from the current status of 3G to 4G. This means we can enhance the quality of service”.
The Adiemra rural site is the latest to be commission by the Minister for Communications and Digitalisation, Ursula Owusu-Ekuful, during her visit to the region for the Girls in ICT Programme.
The current 758 sites, according to the GIFEC boss, have a 3G connectivity which is aiding in the ‘Digital for Inclusion’ programme by the government.
The project which is in collaboration with the telecom operators in Ghana is expected to eliminate the concerns of unavailable network connectivity in some parts of the country.
- Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor dismisses claims of being 3rd richest man in Ghana
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned
- Bob Menendez steps down as US Senate foreign relations chairman after indictment
- MohBad mourners teargassed at Nigeria’s Lekki toll gate after Lagos concert
- Ethiopian Prince Alemayehu’s lock of hair returned after 140 years in UK
- US senator Bob Menendez charged with bribery after wads of cash and gold bars found at home
- GPL 2023/24: Bofoakwa Tano score late to beat RTU at home
- Sudan war: Army chief Burhan claims he’s ready for peace talks
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest and OSP-Cecilia saga
- Former Bantama MP, Okyem Aboagye dead
- Mahama Ayariga condemns killing of 9 in highway ambush at Pusiga
- Inaki Williams scores and assists as Athletic Bilbao beat Alaves
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: BBC News journalist who was arrested by police speaks up
- Modern Floors products to be available in Northern Ghana soon – CEO
- My entertainment business aspiration came from working at a nightclub – D-Black