Former Governor of the Bank of Ghana, Dr Kwabena Duffuor, says Ghana’s weak exchange rate has exposed the incompetence of Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia and the country’s economic management team.
According to Dr Duffuor, the cedi keeps falling at a fast rate against the dollar and claims by the Vice President that he had the competence to stabilise the cedi prior to the 2016 elections have been proven to be mere rhetoric.
“There are challenges obviously, look at the cedi for example, when I was in office  you needed 1 cedi 88 pesewas to get a dollar but now you need 6 cedis 20 pesewas to get a dollar. Years ago, Dr Bawumia said when the fundamentals are weak the exchange rate will expose you, the exchange has exposed the government now, meaning the fundamentals are weak by Bawumia’s own explanation,” Dr Duffuor said on GHONE TV Monday, December 6.
The founder of HODA Holdings added “the cedi is running and he promised that he will arrest the cedi, where is he, Dr Bawumia the cedi is running arrest it. He also made a point that he had worked at the central bank and that there was soo much money and we didn’t have to go and borrow, what has happened during his term.”
Dr Duffuor also rejected accusations by some members of the NDC that he is working to distract former President John Mahama from winning the 2024 elections.
According to him, his long years of support and service to the NDC and the country is on record and undisputed.
“Those claims are just wicked and I pray that those people will put their thinking caps on. It is very unfair. Who will serve a country for four years and will not accept anything, no salary, no allowances, no exgratia, why would I be a mole when money is not my problem,” He told host Serwaa Amihere.
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- Haruna Iddrisu accepts changes in Minority leadership
- Turkey earthquakes: Christian Atsu found – Turkish media confirm
- ‘God, please’ – Asamoah Gyan prays for Christian Atsu, other celebs join
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- Let’s continue to pray for Christian Atsu – Mahama to Ghanaians
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research
- Yul Edochie’s first wife threatens to sue actress over photoshopped image with Judy Austin
- Ankaful Psychiatric Hospital offers free treatment to former ‘NSMQ shark’
- Don’t behave like Finance Ministry is your personal property – Kpebu tells Ofori-Atta over nonpayment of matured coupons
- Glory to God – Social media users rejoice after Christian Atsu found alive
- Put hefty taxes on alcohol, cigarettes to generate funds money to fight cancer
- Total household spending falls by 11% in 2022 – UK-Ghana Chamber of Commerce survey
- NDC to consider reforms for selecting leaders in Parliament – National Council of Elders
- We want to make VAR interventions more understandable for spectators – Pierluigi Collina
- 2022/23 betPawa PL: Mukwala nets brace as Kotoko run riot against Accra Lions
- Parliament resumes from recess today
- ‘You are free to sign DDEP is not the same as exemption’ – Dr Adu Anane Antwi
- Stonebwoy shares pictures of red carpet moments at 2023 Grammys
- Ghana Gas to build second Processing Plant; 1.5k jobs assured
- Remarkable progress with ongoing IMF programme is significant to recovery efforts; momentum must be sustained – Ofori-Atta
- The origin of Hiplife: How rapping in Twi ‘blew people’s minds’
- Family of Thomas Sankara boycotts burial plans
- Court reinstates sacked anti-corruption chief