Audio By Carbonatix
Government has resumed servicing its Eurobond debts after the completion of the exchange programme with bondholders last week.
JOYBUSINESS understands that a total amount of US$520 million has been paid to the Eurobond holders.
This included $120 million as consent fee, for the bondholders who agreed to exchange their old bonds under certain conditions.
It has been described by market analysts as a special consideration payment in relation to incentivizing the bondholders to participate in the Debt Exchange Programme.
The Consent Fee consisted of $10 dollars per $1, 000 as recognized principal amount for exiting notes.
Government has also paid some $320 million to the investors.
These are coupon payments that Ghana should have paid to the Eurobond holders but was frozen, due to the debt service freeze announced by government in 2022.
However, under the agreement for restructuring the debt payment, government was supposed to make the payment as soon as the debt deal was completed this year.
Coupon Payments to Eurobond holders
Government is expected commence coupon payments to the bondholders in January 2025 and the next payment should be made in July 2025.
This is the initial schedule on the expected coupon re-payments for 2025.
Government has told JOYBUSINESS that it believes the Bank of Ghana has built the required dollar buffers to aid the servicing of the debts.
The Bank of Ghana’s Economic and Financial Data ending August 2024 showed that the Country’s International Reserves stood at $7.5 billion dollars, representing 3.4 months of import cover.
Eurobond Debt Restructuring Deal
Government last week concluded the Eurobond Debt Exchange Programme, after it had almost 100 percent of bondholders’ trade their old bonds for new ones.
Government managed to restructure the $13 billion debt owed the Eurobond investors. The development paved the way for government to take steps to resume serving its debts owed the creditors.
However, with the servicing of the bilateral creditors, government is expected to commence repayment from 2026.
The Finance Minister Dr Mohammed Amin Adam has disclosed that the ministry has presented a proposal to cabinet over the best investment options in the setting up of Sinking Fund, to help reduce the fiscal burden when the time for repayment commences in 2026.
Latest Stories
-
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
47 minutes -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
1 hour -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
1 hour -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
2 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
2 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
2 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
3 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
3 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
3 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
4 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
4 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
4 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
5 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
5 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
5 hours