Audio By Carbonatix
Dr. Benjamin Kumbour, Minister of Health, has said that government has resolved to tackle challenges regarding physical infrastructure and transportation facing the country's nursing training institutions.
He expressed worry that for more than 25 year's now, a total of 139 structures that were at varying levels of construction at some health training institutions had been abandoned.
Dr. Kumbuor was addressing the opening session of a three-day workshop on the selection of applicants for admission to the nursing institutions at the Nodal Hotel at Fumesua near Kumasi on Wednesday.
Principals of the 62 public nursing schools were discussing the quota admission system, the proposed percentage intake, guidelines for selection, maintenance culture, financial and transport management.
Accommodation for tutors, infrastructure, performance management, school fees and development levy issues were also discussed.
Dr. Kumbour urged the principals to ensure transparency in the admission process and to resist overtures that could compromise high standards.
He praised them for their contribution to the growth and development of health in the country.
Dr. Kumbour said that the Ministry was considering rewarding nurses and doctors working in deprived areas of the country.
Mr. Ebenezer Appiah-Dankyira, Director of Human Resource, Health Development at the Ministry, said the workshop was not only for selection criteria but to also discuss policy direction.
He said the Ministry was collaborating with professional associations, regulatory bodies, health partners and other groups to maintain standards in health practice.
Alhaji Dr. Mohammed Ibn Ibrahim, Ashanti Regional Director of Health Services, asked the principals to work harder to win the confidence of the public.
Mr. James Yambor, Chairman of the Conference of Heads of Health Training Institutions, asked members of the Nurses and Midwifery Council to pay regular visits to the schools to ensure quality training.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
2 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
2 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
2 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
2 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
2 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
2 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
2 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
3 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
3 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
3 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
3 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
3 hours