Audio By Carbonatix
Government has been urged to reconsider a decision to lay off health extension workers employed by the previous government, under the National Youth Employment Programme (NYEP).
Mr Opoku Agyeman Prempeh, a businessman in Kumasi, said such workers should rather be supported to enroll in nursing and community health training institutions in order to be fully integrated into the health sector.
He said they had already obtained considerable work experience and should be given additional training to sharpen their skills and competences.
He added that they could play significant role in rural communities that were unattractive to many of the country's health professionals.
Mr Prempeh who is the Managing Director of Lakayana Company in Kumasi told the Ghana News Agency that the government had already spent a lot of money on the health extension workers and this should not be allowed to go to waste.
He said the health extension workers have enjoyed confidence and trust from rural folks, which explained why they should be provided with proper training.
Mr Prempeh said given the reluctance of professional health workers to accept postings to rural areas, the importance of their services could not be discounted.
"The current situation where they are just hanging on at health facilities without doing anything just because they are going to be dismissed, is affecting health care delivery in rural communities", he added.
Mr Prempeh appealed to the Ministry of Health and NYEP to come out with a definite stand on the matter to ease the mental agony which they were going through.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
8 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
17 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
18 minutes -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
26 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
27 minutes -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
27 minutes -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
42 minutes -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
1 hour -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
1 hour -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
1 hour -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours -
Two nationwide blackouts in a space of a month ‘cause for worry’ – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Technical challenges affecting tax payments are being resolved—GRA
2 hours -
Ghana Premier League 2026/27: What to expect from the new season
2 hours -
Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
2 hours