As the population in Greater Kumasi continues to grow, waste collection and management are becoming a challenge.
Currently, there are few resources for the effective collection and management of solid waste.
However, with a 2.5 million Euro EU-funded project, the sanitation system of Kumasi will see a facelift.
Stakeholders are positive the project will offer jobs for entrepreneurs in the green economy.
The “Holistic Reinforcement for Sustainable Development” project (HORESD) is to improve public service delivery in waste management within the Kumasi Metropolis.
A strategic Urban Waste Solid Management Plan will be implemented. New green jobs will be created to execute the Waste Management Plan.
Mayor of Kumasi Metropolis, Samuel Pyne, ” We are going to train entrepreneurs. The private sector will be included to collaborate with the European Union. New vehicles and materials will be purchased to aid in the project’s direction,”
The HORESD project will lead to the creation of a Sustainable Entrepreneurship School.
Investment, the provision of seed capital and capacity building will contribute to making this program a reality.
Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah wants the project if successful to be extended to other adjoining towns.
“This Green Economy program will need a permanent information and capacity building structure. I wish by the time we complete this project, the financiers will replicate it in other regions and towns. I promise to ensure the sustainability of this project. There will be intense monitoring,” he assured.
The project will be implemented within 30 months.
A Territorial Management Group, made of representatives of local and national stakeholders, will oversee the project.
Irchad Razaali is Ambassador and Head of the European Union Delegation.” The project intends to improve the participatory capacity of citizenry. These citizens participation processes will be promoted through organisations of forums,campaigns and materials that will create extensive awareness of the project,” he said.
The “Holistic Reinforcement for Sustainable Development” project is a Europe Aid program involving three local administrations, with the Mancomunitat de la Ribera Alta in Spain as the coordinating partner, The Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly as the beneficiary, and the Chamber of Praia in Cape Verde as the third collaborating partner.
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- ‘Impugning the motives of Judges is actually undermining integrity of Judiciary’ – Judges and Magistrates Association
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- GFA suspends AshantiGold SC for dealing with banned club president and son
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Step aside, find out if agency obtained right to use Ayat’s content – Copyright Attorney tells GTA, Tourism Ministry
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Ghana’s ‘Borga’, ‘Road to My Father’s Compound’ lead race for AMAA 2022 gold
- Emmanuel Agyemang Badu invited for CHAN draw
- R. Kelly to pay $300,000 to victim in sex crimes
- International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste 2022 – “Stop food waste for the people and the planet”
- QLAC MD is new President of Association of Insurers and Reinsurers
- 11 takeaways from GFA decision to suspend ongoing Premier League season
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Ghana to transition from fossil to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Cedi registers unprecedented weekly decline in trading against dollar as demand surges
- EJF releases film on net free seas project
- Full text: Ursula Owusu-Ekuful’s speech at 2022 ITU conference
- CBG commissions ultra-modern SME centre at Kokomlemle, relocates Trade Fair branch to Ultimate Height Building in La
- Ghana reaffirms commitment to strategic direction set by ITU to ensure universal connectivity
- Fuse ODG also cites GTA for unauthorised use of his content
- Floods kill one at Anwomaso-Bebre in Ashanti Region