Audio By Carbonatix
A group of 13 suspected gang members has been beaten and burned to death by a mob in Haiti's capital after being seized while police were searching their vehicle.
The suspects were reportedly beaten with gasoline-soaked tyres before being set alight in Port-au-Prince on Monday.
Police say they confiscated weapons from them just before the incident.
They have not explained how members of the public got hold of the suspects.
Haiti has descended into increasing lawlessness since the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse in July 2021.
The United Nations said in a report published on Monday that insecurity in the capital has reached levels similar to countries at war.
Armed gangs continue to compete to expand their territorial control and that clashes with police and rival gangs have "become more violent and more frequent," claiming many civilian lives, it added.
Gang violence led to the death of nearly 70 people, including 18 women and two children, between 14 and 19 April alone, according to the UN.
Many schools and health centres have been forced to close and the violence has also affected access to many goods and services.
"The people of Haiti continue to suffer one of the worst human rights crises in decades and a major humanitarian emergency," the report reads.
Since Moïse's assassination, the Caribbean nation has been led by Prime Minister Ariel Henry, who has failed to rein in the gangs that now control an estimated 60% of the capital.
Mr Henry and UN officials have repeatedly called for the deployment of an international force to help police in their fight against the criminal gangs.
So far, no country has offered to lead such a force. The United States has been trying to convince Canada to take on the role but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has so far resisted.
Mr Henry has said it is key to providing security so that long-postponed elections can be held.
Credit: The BBC
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
3 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
9 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
15 minutes -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
16 minutes -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
20 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
26 minutes -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
31 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
35 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
42 minutes -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
47 minutes -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
48 minutes -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
50 minutes -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
54 minutes -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
60 minutes -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
1 hour