Ghanaian artiste Stonebwoy, has for the first time, spoken about Meek Mill’s video shoot which took place at the Jubilee House while he visited Ghana in December 2022.
Stonebwoy opined on the Breakfast Club radio show in the USA that, he believes Meek Mill was able to shoot a music video at Ghana’s Presidential residence because he was granted permission.
“This will probably be the first time I am speaking about that because I’ve not necessarily tried to stay out of that comment. But truth be told, I could come to the States and go to the White House and do what I want to do except there was a certain amount of leeway that I could do stuff,” he said.
He however noted that Meek Mill did the right thing by eventually apologising.
“I don’t think it is a big deal and I mean the internet got crazy and he did the best thing he had to do because for me it was the job of the security personnel and the protocol to make sure that ‘bro, we don’t film over here, we don’t do this over here, we don’t do that. He is excited, he doesn’t know the laws, I believe. So he only tried to get the best of his trip,” he added.
When Meek Mill posted the video on his Instagram page on January 8, 2023, Stonebwoy commented with a fire emoji. Some wondered what exactly he was communicating, at a time when the video had raised hackles among most Ghanaians.
In the video, Meek Mill, in the company of some friends were seen in and around the Jubilee House jamming to his latest track. The rapper and his colleagues walked through some chambers of the Jubilee House, as well as the outer precincts of the facility.
Meek Mill also made use of the official podium which President Akufo-Addo uses for public addresses, while performing portions of lines in his upcoming song. Although he later deleted the video, he received scathing commentary on various platforms, especially social media.
In his apology, he said even though he sought permission for the shoot, he thought the officials at the Jubilee House probably didn’t know he was going to use it for a music video.
I don’t think they knew it was video footage when we asked to shoot its a small camera and one kid … in America we didn’t know this existed and was excited to show because they don’t show Ghana on our media much! So I’ll take responsibility for my mistake! Not intentional https://t.co/obDZb9Czu5— MeekMill (@MeekMill) January 9, 2023
Meanwhile, the Director of Diaspora Affairs at the Office of the President, Akwasi Awua Ababio said in an interview that officials at the Jubilee House were unaware that the ‘Dreams and Nightmares’ hit-maker was shooting visuals when he visited the President.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government
- GOIL supports Appiatse Disaster Fund
- Headmasters can’t stop students from reporting to school over prospectus – Education Minister tells parents
- It’s been an insightful experience – Funke Akindele breaks silence after losing elections