Bringing your newborn home for the first time is an exciting experience for parents. However, if family members develop an illness shortly after your baby comes home, you may have a constant fear of your newborn coming down with an illness. A minor cold can be a severe, even life-threatening illness for newborns. You can’t protect your baby from all illnesses, but you can reduce his risk of getting sick with a few precautions.
Wash your hands before touching your baby and make sure everyone else does the same. There are no exceptions to this rule when caring for a newborn. Ensure that everyone in your household, including yourself, washes their hands before and after eating, after diaper changes, after using the restroom, after blowing their noses and as soon as they come into the house.
Keep sick family members in a separate room away from your newborn baby. If a sick person sneezes or coughs, tiny droplets containing the infection become airborne for your newborn baby to inhale and become infected. Encourage everyone to use tissues.
Disinfect your house with diluted bleach or disinfectant spray, focusing mainly on frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs, phones, computers, television remotes, toilets and sinks. Wipe the surfaces with a clean paper towel. Clean the baby’s pacifiers, bottles and toys in hot, soapy water frequently.
Breastfeed your baby for a minimum of six months. Your breast milk provides antibodies and enzymes that help your newborn fight infections. Babies who are not breastfed get sick more often and to a more serious degree than breastfed babies.
Avoid kissing your baby on the mouth or near the mouth. Even if you’re not outwardly showing symptoms of an illness yet, you can still be carrying that illness, especially if other family members are sick in your household.
Forbid smoking around your baby. Secondhand smoke makes your newborn prone to upper respiratory infections because it weakens her already weak immune system.
Tips and Warnings
• Read the back of your cleaning products. Many instructions say to let the cleaner sit for 30 to 60 seconds before wiping the surface. If you wipe the surface earlier than this amount of time, the chemicals cannot effectively kill microorganisms. If you have other children, see if they can spend a few nights with a grandparent or other relatives. If you are sick, pump breast milk and have someone who is not sick feed your newborn. Friends and family often enjoy helping out with new babies.
• Seek medical assistance if your newborn is sick — especially if he has a fever of over 100.4, he is rejecting the breast or bottle, is unresponsive, is breathing rapidly or is having difficulties breathing. In these cases, hospitalization is likely needed so that your baby can be assisted with breathing and to receive fluids intravenously.
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Leadership crisis at Ghana Rugby: Chairman Herbert Mensah suspended indefinitely, set to be removed from office on June 8
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
- Cape Coast airport to be completed before end of second term – Transport Minister assures
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah released from National Security custody
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
If you want Ghana to be fixed, stop voting for the NDC and NPP – Ivor Kobina Greenstreet
Pregnancy should not be a hindrance to your dreams – Nana Adwoa Awindor
Over 90% of ‘rotten’ vehicles at National Security premises distributed – Former MASLOC boss
Muslims urged to support in raising funds for the vulnerable
Nsawam Adoagyiri MP donates 10 Pulse Oximeters to Nsawam government hospital
I will resign from Parliament if anyone proves that I promised to fix any road – Sam George
Ajax melt down Dutch title trophy to make 42,000 stars to give to fans
Virgil van Dijk rules himself out of Euro 2020
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 24
Inflation returns to single digit of 8.5% in April 2021
Nursing aide gets 7 life terms for killing 7 elderly VA patients with insulin
Ghana to host African Swimming and Open Water championships
Chief breaks ground for multipurpose Nkawkaw Palace
Double whammy for Ghana in Old Mutual Amazing Voices
RTI Law is to empower citizens and to fight corruption – RTI Coalition