Audio By Carbonatix
The Energy-designate Minister, Matthew Opoku Prempeh has once again justified his acceptance of a Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund) scholarship in 2016.
He told Parliament's Appointment Committee on Friday during his vetting that MPs access scholarships from the Fund and there is nothing wrong with him also benefitting.
“Members of this House [Parliament] access even on that particular course [in 2016]. I went with someone on the Majority side [at the time.] I do not regret it, it wasn’t done for just me and if I get the same opportunity, I will do it again.”
A performance audit report of the Auditor-General on the administration of scholarships by GETFund revealed that then Education Minister Matthew Opoku-Prempeh, Procurement Minister and Deputy Majority Leader in Parliament, Sarah Adwoa Safo as well as the Executive Secretary of the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NaCCA), Prince Hamidu Armah all benefitted from the scheme.
The Education Minister is listed as studying National and International Security at Harvard University, receiving $12,800 for living expenses and $11,200 as tuition fees.
Procurement Minister Sarah Adwoa Safo is also listed studying at the Harvard Kennedy School enjoying $12,800 in allowances with $17,004 in tuition fees.
Dr Armah is studying Philosophy in Education at the University of Aberdeen, which comes with a benefit of £38,400 for living expense in addition to £33,000 for tuition fees.
All the cited appointees came out with various explanations debunking the allegations.
Some of them said they benefited prior to their appointment to serve in Akufo-Addo's government.
Mr Opoku Prempeh issued a statement in which he said the claims were “false and calculated to cause embarrassment and public ridicule.”
According to him, he was only a “recipient of GETFund award in 2014 to participate in a 3-week certificate program at the Kennedy School of Govt, Harvard University.”
However, his response to a question on the subject asked by Alhassan Suhunyini, NDC MP for Tamale North, is in sharp contrast to the statement he issued last year when the issue made headlines.
The Manhyia MP stressed, "I do not regret it, it wasn’t done for just me and if I get the same opportunity, I will do it again.”
Latest Stories
-
Nigeria influencer arrested after seizure of cocaine worth $28m destined for the UK
13 minutes -
Gender Minister inspects nutrition training for School Feeding caterers in Northern Region
14 minutes -
GoldBod to fund rehabilitation of six water treatment plants affected by mining
19 minutes -
ORC challenges CSA cybersecurity sanction, says penalty was premature and procedurally unfair
21 minutes -
GoldBod to introduce gold traceability system by end of 2026 – Sammy Gyamfi
28 minutes -
Photos: Eleventh batch of Ghanaian evacuees arrive from South Africa
29 minutes -
GETFund explains mandate as EFPI expands partnerships to support Ghana’s education sector
34 minutes -
US$4.8bn SME financing gap exposes Ghana’s credit challenge — A call for swift implementation of open banking, open finance reforms
37 minutes -
Ghana is open to responsible mining, investment – Minerals Commission
44 minutes -
Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport
45 minutes -
GoldBod to launch digital gold platform for Ghanaians, Africans
51 minutes -
NPP will reinstate Torkornoo when we return to power – Afenyo-Markin hints
53 minutes -
We’ll establish a Gold Village in Accra next year – Sammy Gyamfi
54 minutes -
Many Canadians are boycotting the US, so this is where they’re travelling instead
58 minutes -
Promasidor Ghana unveils new Onga Tomato Mix, names Diana Antwi Hamilton brand ambassador
1 hour