The Presidential Candidate of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, says he will create a new region when given the mandate in the upcoming election.
According to him, the creation of the “Western-North” region is long overdue, considering the fact that “a significant proportion of Ghana’s natural resources, such gold and cocoa, as well as food stuff” can be found in that part of the country.
“It is, thus, about time the ‘Western-North’ became its own separate, independent region. We are going to do that in Nana Akufo-Addo’s government. The Constitution (Article 5) has created ways by which this can happen, and we will go through the prescribed methods towards achieving this,” he said.
The NPP flag bearer made this known, on Thursday, August 11, at Amoaya in the Bodi Constituency on day two of his 5-day tour of the Western Region.
Nana Akufo-Addo said the creation of the region is to ensure a more equitable development of the region, as well as to address the unwieldy size of the Western Region.
The general consensus amongst the people of Western Region is for the creation of a separate region to allow for a more efficient governance system.
It is expected that the ‘Western-North’ Region will have the Sefwi, Juaboso, Bodi, Bia and Bibiani areas as the borders of this new region.
In responding to the request for the creation of a district at Amoaya by Nana Kwame Nkrumah II, Chief of Bodi, the NPP flagbearer assured hundreds of residents gathered that his government “will not forget the people of Amoaya” and will ensure the creation of the district for the people.
He assured the people of Bodi of his commitment towards ensuring that the 2016 elections pass off peacefully, stressing that “if any violence is to occur before, during or after the December 7 poll, it will not be instigated or imitated by the NPP.”
With the Bodi Constituency considered a stronghold of the NDC, albeit deprived of development, the NPP flagbearer appealed to the Chiefs and people of Bodi “to trust and try me in 2016, because I am motivated by only one thing, which is to return Ghana onto the path of progress and prosperity.”
He continued, “I am not in politics to put money in my pocket. That is not why I am in politics. We (the NPP) are coming into office to help develop this beautiful land. We are entitled to be a prosperous nation, not a poor country.”
- Fact-check: Did the NPP promise to build a harbour in Cape Coast?
- ‘I never promised to build a harbour in Cape Coast’ – Akufo-Addo
- ‘God says we should sing a new song’ not plagiarise – Cindy Thompson to take legal actions against offenders
- Visa refusal for MPs supporting anti-LGBTQ+ Bill should prompt them to develop the country – Adusei Poku
- NDC must pass Vote of No Confidence on Mahama – Atta Akyea on 1 million secret ballots claim
- Komenda Sugar Factory: Mahama constructed roof before building foundation – Akufo-Addo
- Funny Face threatens to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- I lied because people were associating me with politics – Cindy Thompson on ‘Awurade Kasa’
- NDC Caucus begin audit of MPs refused visa to establish whether it is linked to anti-LGBTQ+
Jude Bellingham: The teenager at the forefront of England’s future
Tributes pour in for former US secretary Colin Powell
‘Krom ay3she, scrap taxes on fuel’- NDC to Akufo-Addo
Soldiers demanded ¢50k to embark on coup – Witness
England given one-match stadium ban following unrest at Euro 2020 final
Law students to demonstrate on Oct. 20 over entrance exams fiasco
Kwasi Obeng-Fosu: Responses to NDC Press Conference on rising fuel prices
Securing a clean and inclusive energy transition
‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
Explainer: What is the “metaverse”?
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, October 19, 2021
Government to commission 4 new vehicle assembling plants soon
Fuel price hike: ‘We’re heading for the worst Christmas ever’ – Sammy Gyamfi
Akufo-Addo’s denial of promising Cape Coast a harbour is shocking – Abeiku Adams
Commissioning of Komenda Sugar Factory was done in a haste – Deputy Trade Minister