The Greater Accra Regional Minister says his mandate in getting rid of filth in the city of Accra and making it one of the cleanest in West Africa remains unwavering.
Henry Quartey indicated that tackling the issue of sanitation in Ghana remains a priority even though some actions taken by his outfit to decongest the city was greeted with lots of critics and backlash.
“I work for God and country and I shall continue to work. I have an assigned responsibility by the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, His Excellency the President, to work.”
As part of his determination to clear the city of some of its age-long challenges under the ‘Make Accra Work Again’ agenda, the Minister authorized the demolition of some structures.
Again his outfit took to the street of Accra to clear the dirt that has engulfed the city.
On Thursday, the Minister together with the Municipal Chief Executive for Ayawaso Central, Alhaji Mohamed Quaye organized a clean-up exercise.
The exercise which started from Paloma Ring Road saw about 850 security personnel drawn from the Army, police, fire service and immigration service partake in the clean-up exercise.
Commenting on some of the activities of the Regional Minister, such as the demolition exercise, the General Secretary of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), John Boadu was of the view that his activities could pose a challenge to the party’s interest.
“One thing you look at is that government works does not go against party support on the ground. For instance, the work being done by the Greater Accra Regional Minister is good but it will affect party support on the ground.”
But in response to John Boadu’s comment, the RegionaL Minister said he is poised in battling out the issue of sanitation and congestion in Ghana’s capital.
“We all speak our mind, but I don’t think I will be deterred. I will fight ahead. Do you want another June 3? No. All this stakeholders arrangement has been done,” Mr. Quartey intimated.
However, after a thorough reflection on the pros of the initiative, Mr. Boadu retreated his comment, saying he now fully supports the moves by the Greater Accra Regional Minister to decongest, demolish unauthorized structures and rid the city of filth in his ‘Make Accra Great Again’ agenda.
John Boadu in a radio interview conceded, stating that the Minister, Henry Quartey is doing a good job.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- Quick Angels supports 10 entrepreneurs with ¢25,000 each
- Should ECG stop revenue mobilisation exercise?
- Licensing cybersecurity professionals is critical – Antwi-Boasiako
- KNUST SRC to create permanent seat for disabled students
- Things we do to escape the economic hardship
- Fred Nuamah suspects foul play amid struggle to file nomination forms
- I didn’t intend to mock ‘adowa’ music in Amerado beef song – Lyrical Joe
- Chris Hughton reveals AFCON target ahead of Angola tie
- ‘Hatred or truth’ – Woman’s message to son’s girlfriend shocks social media users
- AFCON 2023Q: Mohammed Salisu only fitness doubt ahead of Angola clash
- Directing CID to probe Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ claims could be plot to clear officials of wrongdoing – Dr Apaak
- Government must commit to Water Action Agenda – WaterAid Ghana
- Gold-for-Oil program will be impacted by attack on our Benso site – Golden Star Wassa Limited
- The Macallan hosts Accra’s entertainment and business industries to splendid experience