Audio By Carbonatix
Choreographer Liam Scarlett has died at the age of 35, a year after leaving The Royal Ballet over allegations of inappropriate behaviour.
A statement from his family said: "It is with great sadness that we announce the tragic, untimely death of our beloved Liam.
"At this difficult time for all of our family, we would ask that you respect our privacy to enable us to grieve our loss."
Scarlett's position with The Royal Ballet ended last year, when the Royal Opera House, which is home to the Royal Ballet Company, said that an independent investigation had concluded.
The artist-in-residence was investigated over claims of sexual misconduct involving students but the investigation concluded there "were no matters to pursue in relation to alleged contact with students of The Royal Ballet School".
Scarlett joined the Royal Ballet Company in 2006 and retired from dancing in 2012 to focus on choreography.
His works for The Royal Ballet included Despite, Vayamos al Diablo, Consolations and Liebestraum, Asphodel Meadows and a new production of Swan Lake.
Scarlett also worked with the English National Ballet, the New York City Ballet, the American Ballet Theatre, and the Norwegian National Ballet, among others.
The claims against him shocked the ballet world, with Australia's Queensland Ballet among those to cut ties with him.
The Royal Opera House previously said it was made aware of the allegations in August 2019, and that Scarlett "was immediately suspended and an independent disciplinary investigation opened".
On Saturday it wrote on Twitter: "We are deeply saddened to hear the news of Liam Scarlett's death.
"Our thoughts are with his friends and family at this very sad time."
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
2 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
2 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
2 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
2 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
2 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
2 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
2 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
3 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
3 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
3 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
3 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
3 hours