Audio By Carbonatix
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has suspended Ghana for the internecine bickering at her local Ghana Olympic Committee.
The mother IOC, according to Reuters, is suspending the Ghanaian national committee “after the government failed to take agreed steps to ensure no political interference in the body.”
The newswire quoting an IOC official during an IOC Executive Board meeting, said an official announcement is expected in the course of the day.
Should the suspension stand, Ghana could be excluded from the 2012 Olympics in London.
The fracas at the Ghana Olympic Committee front has seen two presidents at post in the persons of Professor Francis Duodoo and B.T. Baba.
President Mills at his “Action Year” encounter with media practitioners, described the situation as unfortunate but said he did not want to get involved with it.
The Sports Writers Association of Ghana, SWAG, early November last year cautioned that the sad development at the GOC front was a bad risk that needed urgent solution if the country was not to fall foul of the IOC’s laws.
The SWAG had warned; “As the stalemate continues, with the Sports Bill still awaiting final approval by Cabinet, Ghana’s sportsmen and women face an uncertain future as the clock ticks towards next year’s All Africa Games and the London 2012 Olympics.
“The country is in a race against time, and it is imperative that we act now to head off a looming disaster in the interest of Ghana sports.”
The International Olympic Committee is the supreme authority of the Olympic Movement and among other roles, ensures the regular celebration of the Olympic Games, supports all affiliated member organisations of the Olympic Movement and strongly encourages, by appropriate means, the promotion of the Olympic values.
Story by Myjoyonline.com/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
11 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
13 minutes -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
33 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
3 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
3 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
3 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
3 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
3 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
3 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours