Audio By Carbonatix
A member of Parliament’s Communications Committee is questioning government’s motive to reduce the channels of state broadcaster GBC on the DTT platform by half.
Sam George says the reasons given so far by the Communications Minister Ursula Owusu-Ekuful for the intended move are not tenable.
The Minister, in a letter to the GBC, highlighted the need to create redundancy on the DTT platform which she argued is currently operating at full capacity.
Speaking to journalists in parliament on Wednesday, she added that the state needs means of communicating to the citizens.
“Right now, if the state has need of broadcasting urgent communication to the public, it does not have any means of doing so.
“If the national security has need of broadcasting urgent communication to the citizens, it does not have any means of doing so,” the Minister said.
But Ningo-Prampram MP Sam George disputes this.
According to him, the state and the national security relies on GBC to broadcast information to the public.
The only reason for government’s move to him is an undisclosed motive.
“Is this not another example of state capture?
“We have recently seen the entry into the media space of family members of the president. You are looking at three TV stations being taken away from GBC.
“Is it because the Asaase media empire wants to get a TV station and they want to take one or more of GBC’s frequencies and give to the Asaase Empire to build an Asaase TV empire?” “We are asking these questions,” Mr. George said.
The Minister has since dismissed the question, referring to it as a figment of the lawmaker’s imagination.
Latest Stories
-
Lands Minister Kofi Buah touts Ghana’s superior forest management credentials at UN
21 minutes -
Dubai Chamber leads 19-Company Trade Mission to Ghana as non-oil trade hits AED39.6bn
33 minutes -
Supreme Court admits Methodist Church Trustees in controversial Wesley Girls’ SHS case
35 minutes -
Aflao Traditional Council opposes relocation of High Court
38 minutes -
NADMO clears fallen tree at Ataala Junction after heavy rainfall
40 minutes -
PBC secures GH₵30m financing facility to pay cocoa farmers
52 minutes -
PAC disappointed over neglect of Ghana’s New York Mission building
59 minutes -
Mighty Minority ready to take on NDC in 2028 – Annoh-Dompreh
1 hour -
Family of murdered Momo vendor gives IGP 14-day ultimatum or they’ll occupy Ketu police command
1 hour -
Abronye DC’s health is deterioting in detention – Oppong Nkrumah
1 hour -
CDSU marks milestones in Global Diplomatic Education and Institutional Evolution
1 hour -
Of 5,000 hectares and 5,000 acres: The ‘small matter’ of land size for Petroleum Hub project
1 hour -
Man killed in Bibiani-Asawinso galamsey clash, site owner arrested
1 hour -
Lack of basic educational facilities threatens quality learning at Bueko School
1 hour -
Over 16 NPP members arrested over social media commentary – Oppong Nkrumah alleges
2 hours