Audio By Carbonatix
The United Nations and European Union have criticised an Israeli plan to build 1,250 homes for Jewish settlers on the edge of occupied East Jerusalem.
Israel has invited bids for the construction in the Givat Hamatos area.
A UN envoy warned it would damage prospects for a future contiguous Palestinian state.
Israeli plan for new East Jerusalem settler homes criticised https://t.co/HCKuQXLX8J #BBC #Palestine
— Eye On Gaza (@Eye_On_Gaza) November 16, 2020
Under President Trump the US has taken a permissive approach to settlement activity, but President-elect Joe Biden is expected to change that.
European diplomats who visited the area on Monday to protest against the plan were heckled by Israeli nationalists.
A video posted by Israeli public broadcaster Kann showed a crowd shouting "shame on you" at the diplomats, and accusing them of anti-Semitism and supporting terrorism.
#BREAKING: @EUpalestinians representatives that arrived to protest the building of 1000+ home Givat Hamatos in East Jerusalem have been chased out of the area after activists protested their arrival (video @SuleimanMas1) pic.twitter.com/7NpIa1BBo7
— Amichai Stein (@AmichaiStein1) November 16, 2020
Anti-settlement groups meanwhile said they believed Israeli officials were hurrying through the project before President-elect Biden took office.
More than 600,000 Jews live in about 140 settlements built since Israel's occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem in the 1967 Middle East war.
Most of the international community considers the settlements illegal under international law, though Israel disputes this.
The plan for the construction of 1,257 housing units in Givat Hamatos was revived Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in February, having previously been frozen for years because of international opposition.
On Sunday, the Israel Land Authority (ILA) asked building contractors to submit bids by 18 January.
Latest Stories
-
Suspected robber crashes stolen taxi into traders while fleeing mob at Ejisu
16 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kumasi Academy secures one-eighth spot after commanding win over Bueman SHS, Hohoe EP SHS
39 minutes -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair: Day 2 ends on high note as patrons enjoy exciting discounts
51 minutes -
Big Push: Upper West MPs inspect N12 works, optimistic improved roads will curb robberies
1 hour -
India is turning to ancient water systems as modern ones run dry
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Anum Presby survive tense battle to deny St. Charles Minor Sem. one-eighth spot
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for OLA SHS as Aburi Presby SHTS deny them one-eighth spot
2 hours -
Laptop catches fire on US flight, with passenger treated at airport
2 hours -
Tano North chiefs tackle police over ‘routine release’ of arrested illegal miners
2 hours -
Accra-Kumasi Expressway almost complete – Roads Minister
2 hours -
ECG announces temporary power outages in parts of Tema and Ashanti Regions
3 hours -
Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says
3 hours -
Media urged to help shape Constituency Games implementation
3 hours -
Accra’s only public horse racing course destroyed at Borteyman
3 hours -
Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say
3 hours