Audio By Carbonatix
Germany manager Julian Nagelsmann has defended midfielder Florian Wirtz's slow start to life with Liverpool, arguing he just needs to "get used" to the Premier League.
Wirtz, 22, is yet to register a goal or assist in England's top flight since his £116m move from Bayer Leverkusen in June.
However, Nagelsmann believes this is because the midfielder is adjusting to life in a different league.
"Even though he hasn't scored any goals, he is still the player who creates the most chances in the Premier League," he told Sport 1 after Germany's 4-0 home win over Luxembourg on Friday.
"It's not his fault if his teammates don't convert them, and the statistics don't even tell the whole story.
"Wirtz needs to get used to the league. I saw him playing with total freedom. He knows what he's capable of and how things work.
"He hasn't always had it easy – he'll have to work hard now too."
According to Opta, no player has created more chances than Wirtz (21) in the Premier League so far this season.
And former Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp also believes the negativity surrounding the 22-year-old has been overblown.
"His quality is so outstanding," Klopp told German outlet n-tv.
"The discussions are a bit exaggerated.
"Liverpool just lost three games in a row, which is unusual. But that's also normal in life. And that's why such things are discussed there.
"[Wirtz is] a once-in-a-century talent, and at some point he'll show that in every game again, just as he did at Leverkusen."
Wirtz will next be in action when Germany play Northern Ireland in a World Cup qualifier on Monday (19:45 BST).
Latest Stories
-
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
7 minutes -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
11 minutes -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
15 minutes -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
35 minutes -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
46 minutes -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
57 minutes -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
59 minutes -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
1 hour -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Kadjebi-Asato SHS holds off Ahantaman Girls’ SHS to book one-eighth spot
2 hours -
The Law 101: A critique of the injunction ruling for trials in the legal vacation
2 hours -
Don’t be an agent of misinformation — Opoku Mensah warns Education Minister’s spokesperson
2 hours -
TanoBoase Sacred Grove: Dzifa Gomashie pledges year-end commissioning as eco-tourism gem awaits revival
2 hours -
AK24 Entertainment makes history with sold-out ‘R2Bees Live in Ohio’ concert
2 hours -
NPP acting lawlessly by allowing Wontumi to pursue chairmanship – Rashid Tanko
2 hours