Audio By Carbonatix
Former Defence Minister Dominic Nitiwul has expressed strong disapproval over President John Mahama's decision to use his brother's private jet for official duties instead of the state-owned presidential jet.
Speaking on Joy News’ PM Express on Wednesday, January 22, he described the move as "wrong" and questioned the rationale behind abandoning a fully functional presidential jet.
The debate surrounding the use of the presidential jet continues to stir controversy in Parliament, with Nitiwul's comments adding weight to the ongoing discussions on government expenditure and resource management.
"I'm saying that there's a lack of sincerity," The Bimbilla MP stated.
"The presidential jet is in good order. In fact, former President Nana Akufo-Addo used this presidential jet either on the 22nd or 23rd of December to Takoradi because we had to go to Nzulezu to commission a Naval base, and he used this jet. I was there. It was the same jet he used on 29th December to Kumasi," he said.
He elaborated that the jet had undergone significant maintenance in 2023, addressing various operational issues.
"We were expecting it in March 2023, but it didn’t come because of the amount of work needed. We were expecting it in February, but again it didn’t arrive due to fuel-related issues that previously caused an emergency landing in the U.S. Eventually, it was sent to France in the middle of 2023 for further maintenance, and it returned in March," he explained.
Dominic Nitiwul expressed concern that despite the jet being fully operational, President Mahama opted for alternative means of travel.
"My concern is that it's in good shape. Why are they not using it? The president, very recently, went to Bawku and then to Nalerigu using military facilities. He used the MI17. So why, on one hand, do you say that you have not received the report you asked for from the Ghana Air Force, yet you use military aircraft to travel, but the jet you will not use?"
According to him, the decision to avoid the presidential jet is baffling and unwarranted.
"That's their choice, but as I said, I'm not going to politicize the issue of the president’s travels because, trust me, I still hold the same views that it is wrong for us to have a presidential jet in good condition and the President will not use it."
He emphasised the importance of utilising state resources efficiently, noting that previous administrations made full use of the jet when it was available.
"We have a responsibility to the taxpayers to use what they have provided. This jet has been maintained and is ready for use."
Latest Stories
-
Local insurers equipped to underwrite marine and aviation cargo risks – Boampong
3 minutes -
Trump’s Board of Peace members pledge $7bn in Gaza relief
9 minutes -
Bolt Food reinforces FDA hygiene permit requirement for merchant Partners on its platform
13 minutes -
Former Senegal international Faty opens up about racism
19 minutes -
Ghana retains top spot in GSMA’s 2025 mobile money regulatory index
26 minutes -
Ghana moves to international arbitration over maritime boundary with Togo
26 minutes -
Grey’s Anatomy star Eric Dane dies at 53 after ALS diagnosis
27 minutes -
Greater Accra Regional Hospital confirms assault on security officer; suspect arrested
40 minutes -
Fiifi Coleman  to revive ‘I Told You So’ as stage play in MarchÂ
1 hour -
Ghana hosts high-level ministerial meeting on women and youth political participation
1 hour -
I was a top English and Fante student in secondary school – Kwaw KeseÂ
1 hour -
UK Prisoner set to be deported to Ghana escapes police for second time in a week
2 hours -
PHDC, GNPC form new alliance to strengthen Ghana’s energy security
2 hours -
Bishops warn of deepening cocoa crisis and call for farmer relief
2 hours -
Gold Fields to hand over Damang Mine to Ghana in April 2026
2 hours
