Audio By Carbonatix
Ivory Coast has given assurances that it will continue a programme to buy a residual stock of 100,000 metric tons of cocoa at the guaranteed price, the head of the cocoa producers' organisation said on Tuesday.
This is an effort to calm tensions among farmers and cooperatives.
Farmers had voiced concern in recent days that the stock-buying programme, launched in late January to clear unsold beans and provide cash to farmers after a slump in global cocoa prices, could be halted as the mid-crop harvest gets underway earlier than usual.
Around 23,000 tons have been purchased since the start of the operation, according to data from the Agricultural Interprofessional Organisation for Cocoa.
“I would like to reassure our fellow farmers and cooperative presidents that the government has given us guarantees that the programme will continue and that all the stock inventoried by the Coffee and Cocoa Council on January 15 and 16 will be fully purchased,” Siaka Diakite, president of the Agricultural Interprofessional Organisation for Cocoa, told journalists on Tuesday at CCC headquarters in Abidjan.
He said the remaining stock will be bought at the guaranteed price of 2,800 CFA francs ($5.00).
DEEP CUT TO FARMGATE PRICES?
Government and regulator sources told Reuters last week that authorities were considering cutting the mid-crop farmgate price to between 800 and 1,000 CFA francs per kilogram, down from 2,800 CFA francs for the main crop.
Several farmers and cooperatives, including in the western town of Duekoue and the port city of San Pedro, had threatened to strike and park trucks loaded with cocoa outside regional administrative buildings in protest over a possible suspension of the stock-buying programme.
On Monday, Diakite criticised what he described as administrative blockages by the CCC, which he said had refused to validate bills of lading that allow cooperatives to deliver cocoa to Abidjan.
Latest Stories
-
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
9 minutes -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
23 minutes -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
24 minutes -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
40 minutes -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
45 minutes -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
51 minutes -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
2 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
3 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
4 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
4 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
4 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
5 hours