Audio By Carbonatix
South Africa's former President Jacob Zuma has been spared from returning to prison, with officials saying this to ease overcrowding.
Zuma, who was sentenced to 15 months for contempt of court, surrendered himself to the authorities on Friday.
He had previously been freed on medical parole - in a move ruled illegal by the courts.
Justice Minister Ronald Lamola said he had been given remission to address overcrowding in prisons.
The process aims to alleviate strain on the system by releasing low-risk offenders.
South Africa's Commissioner of Prisons Makgothi Thobakgale said Zuma had reported to the Estcourt Correctional Facility in his home province of KwaZulu-Natal on Friday morning and was "admitted" into the system, before being released an hour later.
The remission status was approved by President Cyril Ramaphosa to more than 9,000 low-risk prisoners.
He says that this "remission process" started in April.
South Africa's main opposition party, the Democratic Alliance, has said it will legally challenge the remission granted to the former president. While the ruling African National Congress (ANC) in KwaZulu-Natal has welcomed the decision and said it is in the best interest of the country.
More broadly the reaction has also been mixed. Some South Africans say the government should focus on pressing issues such as frequent power outages, high crime rates, poverty and youth unemployment, while others say Zuma should go back to jail to serve the rest of his term.
Zuma's jailing in 2021 sparked protests and riots that left more than 350 people dead.
He was sentenced after refusing to testify before a panel probing financial sleaze and cronyism under his presidency.
He was however freed on medical parole just two months into his term.
An appeals court last November found the release was illegally granted and ordered Zuma back to prison to finish his sentence. Last month, the constitutional court rejected an attempt to overturn this decision.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
1 hour -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
3 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
3 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
3 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
4 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
4 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
4 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
4 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
4 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
4 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
5 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
7 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
7 hours