The Accra Metro Environmental Health Inspectors on Wednesday, July 13, 2022, stopped a church activity which was going on in a house at Zoti near Korlebu Teaching Hospital in Accra.
This was part of measures to reduce excessive domestic noise pollution in the metropolis.
El-Roi Fellowship is a non-denominational prayer centre founded by Apostle James Asuako Sarkordie which holds regular prayer sessions in the house.
There was a prayer session going on when the environmental officers and AMA taskforce arrived on the premises.
After a brief conversation between the AMA Metro Health Director, Madam Florence Kuukyi and the Founder of the fellowship, she ordered the taskforce to dismantle the tent under which the prayer session was taking place.
The landlord of the house, Mr Owusu Kyere Akoto, who doubles as a member of the fellowship challenged the officers for their actions. According to him, worshiping in the house does not go against the law.
But Madam Florence Kuukyi disagreed with him. She said the landlord has altered the building permit covering the house by holding church activities to disturb tenants in the house.
She said holding church activity in the house was not part of the original permit he holds and therefore cannot continue.
Mr Owusu Kyere Akoto was handed a summon to report to the Accra Metropolitan Assembly’s office.
The team moved to Kamara, a community in Mamprobi to sensitize residents on environmental cleanliness. They saw a heap of refuse in front of a house which is in contravention of the new environmental policy- Operation Clean Your Frontage.
After some minutes of knocking on the doors of the house, a certain lady who came to talk to the officers said she was waiting for the refuse to properly dry to enable her burn them. But her explanation was rejected by Madam Kuukyi because open burning is also against the AMA byelaws so she was given two hours to clear the refuse and served with notice.
The team also locked a bread bakery factory in another house said to be operating in an unhygienic environment as the team uncovered a bucket of feaces that was allegedly placed there by a tenant.
It was later established that the house did not have enough toilet facilities to serve tenants and therefore notices were given to some of them.
- Social media reacts to how youth hooted at Akufo-Addo during concert
- Apart from some senior players, no one is guaranteed a place – Andre Ayew on Ghana’s World Cup squad
- NDC orchestrated the heckling of Akufo-Addo at Global Citizen Festival – NPP
- 23,495 Ghanaians test positive for HIV in 6 months
- Black Stars arrive to rousing welcome in Spain ahead of Nicaragua friendly
- Bagbin has not resigned from Ghana Bar Association – Dafeamekpor
- Ghana’s programme will focus heavily on debt sustainability – IMF
- Frontiers Contract contains information we cannot disclose – Ghana Airports Company Ltd
- JoyNews investigates how Customs officers aided ¢300m loot through borders in ‘Smugglers Paradise’
- ‘Stop the foolhardiness, Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival wasn’t orchestrated’ – Stan Dogbe tells NPP
- Absa Bank projects ¢12 to a dollar end-year rate
- Olympic medalist Prince Amartey passes on
- KiDi, Kuami Eugene wrap up Europe tour with 3 shows in one night
- ‘I’m not worried’ – Otto Addo on Black Stars form
- Government to face difficult refinancing options in repaying maturing T-Bills – Report
- KiDi releases ‘4Play’ EP with voice notes to fans
- ‘Nicaragua won’t be as tough as Brazil’ – Otto Addo
- Today’s front pages: Tuesday, September 27, 2022
- Weweso JHS students save up ‘chop money’ to buy sanitary pads
- Global Citizen Festival: Usher, DWP Academy, others wow crowd
- Kenyan accused of ICC witness bribery found dead
- I want to come back to broadcasting – Kojo Yankah
- Mali players fight each other at Basketball World Cup
- Financial inclusion, enterprise development empowering SMEs for sustainable growth
- Government currently has zero equity interest in AngloGold Ashanti – Sam Jonah