Audio By Carbonatix
The Management of the Judicial Service has appealed to the Judicial Service Staff Association of Ghana (JUSAG) to call off their strike.
In a press release dated Thursday, May 25, the Service noted that they have taken steps hoping to address JUSAG’s issues of salaries and allowances with their executives, government and the Judicial Service management.
“In line with precedence, the Ministry of Finance has agreed with the Judicial Service to meet on Wednesday 31 May 2023 for an engagement on the matter,” parts of the statement read.
They called for JUSAG executive’s cooperation in resolving their matter assuring the association that the concerns they noted prior to embarking on their strike action are being addressed.
“To this end, Management of the Judicial Service is appealing to JUSAG to call off the strike action in order to participate in the above-mentioned engagement. This will ensure a timely resolution of the matter.”
This comes after JUSAG leaders Wednesday afternoon summoned members to an emergency meeting and declared the indefinite strike.
The association stated that ultimatums issued government to address demands for the approval of salary increases and payment of arrears from January 2023 expired on May 19.

The association says it had previously written to President Akufo-Addo to approve the recommendation of the Judicial Council for a review of salaries and related allowances for staff of the Judicial Service in line with Article 149 of the 1992 Constitution of Ghana.
JUSAG also complained about the withdrawal of the Cost of Living Allowance in December 2022, amid the economic difficulties in the country, concluding that its members had shown patience enough.
Hours into the implementation of the action, the repercussions are already playing out.
Some of the people who were at court premises looking forward to their cases being called have expressed worry.
Meanwhile, Ashanti Regional branch of the Ghana Bar Association (GBA) has asked government to immediately intervene in the strike by the Judicial Service Staff Association of Ghana (JUSAG).
Regional Chair, Kwame Owusu Sekyere, says the strike will delay court proceedings and leave patrons stranded if the government fails to step in.
“I’m worried in the sense that it’s affecting the administration of justice in the region, if their strike is nationwide then it’s the nation. But this morning for instance we have a lot of cases that we’re supposed to do, we have to file processes that have to be done within time because the proceedings are regulated by law,” he told JoyNews.
Latest Stories
-
Cyber Security Authority, EY resolve satisfactorily matters relating to licence fees
21 minutes -
Illegal mining drives Ghanaian children from classrooms into hazardous labour
1 hour -
NACOC committed to strengthening border security – DG
1 hour -
DTI students showcase innovative solutions at 2026 Capstone Projects Exhibition
1 hour -
‘We let the athletes down’ – NSA boss on Ghana’s Commonwealth Games campaign
1 hour -
Jinapor prioritises exploration, investment to reverse Ghana’s oil production decline
1 hour -
Eric Tinkler highlights deep-rooted challenges at Asante Kotoko, admits club is aware
1 hour -
Next 15 years of Petroleum Commission must focus on transformation – John Jinapor
1 hour -
Bank of Ghana’s negative equity should not come as a surprise – Minority
1 hour -
US$3.5bn fresh investment shows renewed confidence in Ghana’s oil sector – Jinapor
2 hours -
Another centenary in Keta: Vodza RC School
2 hours -
GES engages teacher unions over concerns about 2025 promotion dates
2 hours -
Ghana must move from participation to ownership in petroleum sector – Jinapor
2 hours -
Government moves to restore investor confidence as Ghana seeks to revive oil production
2 hours -
Kingsley Agyemang calls for legally protected fund to tackle Africa’s flood risk
2 hours