Audio By Carbonatix
Kenya expects more money from the International Monetary Fund by the end of the year and is in talks with the Fund about combining the seventh and eighth reviews of its support programme, its central bank governor said on Wednesday.
The East African country and the IMF reached a staff-level agreement on the seventh review of its $3.6 billion programme in early June.
But the review is yet to be approved by the Fund's executive board after the government was forced to scrap proposed tax hikes and draw up spending cuts in late June in response to mass protests that turned deadly.
"We are in the final stages of an agreement (with the IMF). The fiscal framework has been agreed," Governor Kamau Thugge told a news conference, a day after the Central Bank of Kenya cut its benchmark lending rate by another 75 basis points.
Kenya's government has asked the IMF to conduct an official assessment of corruption and governance issues.
While not directly linked to the next disbursement, the assessment is an attempt to build goodwill with the Fund as it tries to get finances back on track.
Thugge also said on Wednesday that the central bank had been buying dollars on the foreign exchange market to boost Kenya's buffers against potential short-term shocks.
The bank has previously said it has no preferred level for the shilling and only intervenes in the forex market to smooth out volatility.
Thugge said the exchange rate was being supported by dollar inflows from agricultural exports, remittances and foreign investor interest in local securities given high interest rates.
He reiterated the bank's forecast for economic growth of 5.5% next year.
On Tuesday the bank lowered its 2024 growth forecast to 5.1% from 5.4% after slower growth in the second quarter.
Thugge said on Wednesday there could be scope for local interest rates to fall further given that the shilling exchange rate was stable.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
53 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
59 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
1 hour -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
1 hour -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
1 hour -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
1 hour -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
1 hour -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
1 hour -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
2 hours -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
2 hours -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
2 hours