The Works and Housing Minister, Francis Asenso Boakye is disappointed that the Keta Sea defence project did not find expression in the 2022 budget presented by Finance Minister, Ken Ofori Atta last week.
The Minister, acknowledging the urgent need for the construction of the defence wall said he was hopeful that the 2022 budget would fashion out a roadmap for the implementation of the project.
The Minister was responding to a question from the Deputy Majority leader, Alexander Afenyo-Markin on Thursday, regarding why the project was not budgeted for.
“We have had all the necessary engagement with the Finance Ministry and I was hoping that it would be captured.
“I have since engaged with the Finance Minister and he has assured me that plans will be made for the project to commence,” he informed the House.
Sea erosion and tidal waves are not new in Ghana. The sea has been eating up land space in more than a dozen coastal communities, from Elubo- on the western border- to Aflao, on the east. But now, the rate- and impact- is alarming.
In Keta, more than 3,000 people were displaced and property running into hundreds of thousands were swallowed by the sea two weeks ago.
Data also show that rising sea levels would continue to cause more devastation.
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- You are on your own – John Kumah tells bondholders who reject debt exchange programme
- GMA rejects debt exchange programme
- Moody’s downgrades GCB Bank due to debt restructuring
- Black Sherif is the voice of African youth – Akon
- World Cup: Rating every member of Ghana’s squad
- Akufo-Addo commissions Afienya Road Over Bridge on Tema-Mpakadan Railway line
- It’s time students stopped ‘chew and pour’- Eugenia Tachie-Menson
- Dashboard: Mobile money transactions in Ghana
- Financial Stability Council pledges to closely monitor impacts of Debt Exchange Programme; ¢15bn fund to be set up
- Mahama appeals for ¢10 to support NDC congress
- 796 flee Burkina Faso to Sissala West communities for fear of attack
- We only approved policy principle of 2023 Budget; not the taxes – Minority
- 81 aspirants vie for 14 national executive positions in NDC
- NPA to seek cabinet support to remove taxes on LPG
- Claims that female babies develop speech faster than males is a myth – Language Therapist
- Consensus key to sustainability of the debt exchange programme – ISSER to government
- I’ve been given over ¢100k ‘haircut’ on my investment – Franklin Cudjoe
- Mozambique ex-president’s son, others jailed for 12 years for corruption
- GWCL to cut water supply to parts of Accra
- Philip Afeti Korto: Grey hair, a sign of wisdom or ageing?
- Busy Signal to perform at Stonebwoy’s Bhim Concert in Ghana