Audio By Carbonatix
The West Africa coastline recorded a 50% increase in kidnapping of sailors last year, according to a maritime watchdog, even as overall piracy incidents declined worldwide.
The number of sailors kidnapped off West Africa rose to 121 last year from 78 in 2018 in the Gulf of Guinea, says the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) in its annual report.
It represents 90% of global kidnappings reported at sea worldwide.
The gulf is considered among the most dangerous waters in the world. It stretches from Angola in the south to Senegal in the north.
The report said incidents of piracy had declined in 2019 but "vessels remain at risk in several regions, especially the Gulf of Guinea".
"These latest statistics confirm the importance of increased information exchange and coordination between vessels, reporting and response agencies in the Gulf of Guinea region,” said Michael Howlett, director of IMB.
Latest Stories
-
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
13 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
27 minutes -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
51 minutes -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
51 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
52 minutes -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
2 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
2 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
2 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
5 hours -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
5 hours -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
5 hours