The New Juaben Traditional Council has challenged a petition to the National House of Chiefs by the Kontihene of the Traditional Area.
According to the Council, the claim by the Kontihene of alleged anomalies in the list of chiefs presented is a fatal misjudgment.
The New Juaben Traditional Council said the Kontihene did not seek clarification from them before proceeding with the petition.
“Kontihene made the fallacious and vicious statement in his petition that ‘anomalies have occurred in the list presented to the National House of Chiefs and its President. This statement is falsely blaming the Traditional Council without any basis whatsoever.
“If he was so sure that the original list submitted by the Traditional Council contained these anomalies, why didn’t he produce that list as documentary evidence to justify his wild claim?,” the statement said.
This comes after the Kontihene of the New Juaben Traditional Area called on the National House of Chiefs (NHC) to correct some major anomalies and illegitimacy in the Legislative Instrument (L.I) 2409 before it becomes a ‘monster’ in the chieftaincy institution in Ghana.
Baffour Nyantakyi Tutu Boateng, in the petition, addressed to the President of the NHC and copied to the Minister of Chieftaincy and Religious Affairs, President of the Eastern Regional House of Chiefs and the New Juaben Traditional Council, alleged that the list of divisional chiefs from the New Juaben Traditional Area as captured in the (Membership of the Regional House of Chiefs) Instrument 2020 (L.I. 2409) is illegitimate and contains non-existing stools, unheard of in the Traditional Area since 1875.
This claim, however, has been countered by the New Juaben Traditional Council which has stated that if indeed the Kontihene did his checks, he would have noticed that the list of Chiefs submitted to the NHC were genuine names of the twelve Divisional Chiefs of the area.
“The Omanhene of the area had already written to the President of the National House of Chiefs to amend the LI of the detected errors with the specific inclusion of the names of the twelve Divisional Chiefs originally submitted but inadvertently excluded from the LI.”
“However, Baffour Nyantakyi Tutu Boateng did not act in this regard, instead went about petitioning the President of the National House of Chiefs with copies to various media platforms without recourse to the Omanhene or the Traditional Council.
“This act violates customary law and the hierarchy of the Traditional Council establishment.
“The action taken by the Kontihene constitutes a betrayal of the sacred oath he has sworn to the Paramount Stool and the Traditional Area and calls into sharp focus his loyalty and integrity to the Stool,” they said.
The Council also stated that Baffuor Nyantakyi Tutu Boateng, was found guilty of some serious customary breaches last year which were all recorded in the minutes of the Traditional Council meetings.
In accordance with tradition, he is expected to seek clemency and restitution but instead, he has decided to estrange himself from the activities of the New Juaben Traditional Council.
This, they added is a breach of the traditions and customs of the area.
“By writing directly to the President of the National House of Chiefs without passing through the Omanhene or the Traditional Council, Kontihene has committed two significant breaches.
“The first breach is his failure to pass the petition through his Overlord in accordance with customary law and usage. The second is by bypassing the Traditional Council, the ultimate traditional leadership power, which has the legal mandate of original jurisdiction over all matters and causes affecting Chieftaincy in the Traditional Area, thus contravening the Chieftaincy Act of 2008.”
- Former Minister for Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Akoto Osei dies aged 64
- 2 Ghanaian students honoured for topping West Africa in 2022 WASSCE
- Bridget Otoo’s horrifying story of how her car was nearly snatched on Tema motorway
- Interest rates on falling spree; government T-bills oversubscribed by 40%
- Police probe Prof Frimpong Boateng’s Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ allegations
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- GACL settles GH¢10m out of GH¢28m owed ECG; balance to be paid in 2-weeks
- Ofori-Atta leaves for China for crucial debt restructuring negotiations
- Avoid mass gatherings, restrict your movements to safe areas – Ghana’s Mission in SA to Ghanaians
- ECG recovers GHȼ18.5m out of ȼ46.9m from 3 state institutions
- The South African choir that performed for Queen Victoria
- Stop the arrogance, downsize your government – Fifi Kwetey tells Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s government suffering a complete collapse of credibility – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo’s government has been the luckiest in terms of resources, they have no excuse – Fifi Kwetey
- IMF lied about Covid-19, Ukraine war being cause of Ghana’s economic woes – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo still in campaign mode – Fifi Kwetey
- Reset your priorities – Sammy Gyamfi tells government
- Climate-smart agricultural practices should be linked to household food security – Climate expert
- Accra Visual Arts Week is back
- Let’s generate African data to empower our AI systems – Computer scientist
- Playback: One-on-one with Fifi Kwetey on PM Express
- I won’t let politics destroy our brotherhood – Fred Nuamah on fracas with John Dumelo
- IMF Executive Board approves US$3bn under new Extended Fund Facility arrangement for Sri Lanka
- 10 enthralling reasons to tune into Joy Prime channel
- Abolish Section 27 of CAP 127 which makes Islamic marriages invalid – Dwomoh