The acting Chief Justice, His Lordship Mr F K Kpegah has assured the incoming and first lady Chief Justice, Her Ladyship Georgina Wood of his total support and commitment to give the Judiciary a new face.
He promised: “Georgina I offer you my shoulders to lean on even though I am not physically strong. You are aware of my recent surgery, yet I have attended this ceremony to pledge my total commitment and support to you and your office you are about to preside on where ever I may be, because it is about moving the nation’s judicial system forward.”
Justice Kpegah was speaking at a dinner to mark the 60th birthday of the incoming Chief Justice, Her Ladyship Georgina Wood in Accra at the weekend.
Teamwork, cooperation and support amongst the “learned” in the judiciary would help to speed up the entrenchment of the rule of law, enhance transparency and build trust amongst members to strengthen democracy, observes the acting Chief Justice, His Lordship Mr F K Kpegah.
His Lordship Justice Kpegah said his birthday parcel would be to conduct proper handing over notes to her, believing this trend would set the tone for proper management of that office.
He declared: “I the acting Chief Justice of this country deem it fit to do a proper and befitting handing over of notes of the august Chief Justice’s Office to you before I leave office and this would be historic and a new benchmark in the judicial process of this country.”
He said this initiative would be the first of its kind since he joined the judiciary some three decades ago.
His Lordship Justice Kpegah, who was very up-beat about this initiative said this was necessary to set the records straight and to give the judiciary a new life-line of initiatives to strengthen democracy, enhance transparency in the system, while moving the direction of justice to a higher level.
He was full of praise for Her Ladyship Georgina as the first female Chief Justice of the land, emphatically stating that Her Ladyship was not chosen because she is feminine, but was nominated by the President because she merits the job by dint of her stature in job performance over the past period spanning three decades.
The task ahead is enormous and very challenging, he cautioned, but was confident that with her focus, professionalism and competence she would excel.
He was positive that Her Ladyship would rise to the task ahead and deal with maters of the office and its expectations to the admiration of all and the international community.
Present at the function were Mr Francis Poku, Minister of National Security, the Speaker of Parliament Mr Begyena Sakyi Hughes, First Deputy Speaker Mr Freddie Blay, Mr Justice Seth Twum, a Supreme Court judge, Mr Sam Okudjato, a prominent lawyer, Mr Kwabena Dufuor, former Governor of the Bank of Ghana, some members of the Bar, Bench as well as staff of the Judicial Service.
- Veteran actor Ekow Blankson has passed on
- Gabby Otchere-Darko hangs out with Arsenal players after win over Spurs
- I am not into galamsey – Chairman Wontumi
- Akufo-Addo directs SIGA Boss to probe infractions in 2021 Auditor General’s report
- I don’t feel sabotaged – ECG MD on credit purchase challenges
- National Security arrests Imam for having links to jihadist group
- I broke down after old tweets resurfaced – KiDi
- Cedi loses 40% value to dollar in nine months of 2022; places 147th position in world – Bloomberg
- Sam George deletes Facebook post about alleged attack on ECG system
- Declare state of emergency in mining areas – OccupyGhana to Akufo-Addo
- Residents of Asamang-Tamfoe protest attacks by Okyeman Environmental Task Force
- GGBL’s Johnnie Walker headlines 2022 Emy Awards
- Today’s front pages: Tuesday, October 4, 2022
- GSE is worst performing stock market in Africa; suffers from cedi depreciation
- 18 maternal mothers detained at the Eastern Regional Hospital rescued by Kabaka Foundation
- Torrential rains likely to cut-off Sunyani-Techiman highway
- ECG’s IT department resisting checks and balance moves by the MD – Kwadwo Poku
- Pakistan floods: ‘It’s like fighting a war with no end’
- Do not bastardise ECG’s IT department for technical hitch – John Jinapor
- Cost of mental healthcare up; Mental Health Authority helpless
- JICA organises third seminar on construction technology for Ghanaian engineers
- Forty Under 40 awards: Xodus Communications Limited releases full list of winners
- North Korea fires ballistic missile over Japan
- ECG vendors should have been made to work round the clock to address challenges – Kofi Kapito
- Forty Under 40: WhiteChalk CEO wins Event Management and Planner of the Year