Fathia Nkrumah, wife of Ghana’s first President, will be buried in Accra, next Tuesday, June 12, at the Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum, beside her husband.
Sekou Nkrumah, one of her sons, yesterday confirmed this to the Times and added that the body will be brought to Accra on Saturday aboard an Egypt Air flight.
He said the burial date was settled on following an agreement between the family and the government.
Sekou said the remains will be accompanied by his uncle Fekry Halim Ritsk, 80, and his other siblings, Gamel and Samia Nkrumah.
Madam Fathia, who died last Tuesday in a Cairo hospital after a protracted illness, was said to have expressed the wish to be buried beside her husband to serve as a symbol of unifying the nation.
Earlier a consecration ceremony was held last Friday at the Coptic Orthodox Church in Cairo, which was attended by a large gathering that included officials from the Ghana Embassy in Cairo and Sedig Mahdi, a former Prime Minister of Sudan.
Source: The Ghanaian Times
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- BoG dollar auction: Demand outstrips supply by $72.2m as $1 hits ¢10.92
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- ‘Forget about votes; call Chairman Wontumi to account’ – Martin Kpebu to Akufo-Addo
- 2 women in court over alleged assault on Besease M/A JHS teacher
- Alberta Mortty: I love my breast; I love my life more
- Assistant headmaster of Mpatasie D/A dies in ‘galamsey’ pit
- 36 arrested in Ejisu for alleged network marketing scamming
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- #NoToGalamsey: Failure to deal with ‘galamsey’ could lead to street terrorism – Prof. Gatsi
- AngloGold Ashanti pleased with community support to ward off illegal miners from Obuasi concession
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package
- A-G advises Interior Ministry to compensate Ejura shooting victims
- GEPA optimistic of achieving 2029 NTES revenue target of $25.3bn
- Two health institutions in UK award £10 million to fight non-communicable diseases in West Africa
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- Cardiovascular diseases on the rise in Ghana; access to healthcare still a challenge – Report