Audio By Carbonatix
A Malian court has adjourned to Thursday a hearing on whether to put Barrick Mining's Loulo-Gounkoto gold complex under provisional administration, the court's registry office and one of the lawyers involved told Reuters on Monday.
Granting the request would represent a major escalation of a dispute between the West African country and the Canadian miner after operations at the complex were suspended in January in a dispute over taxes and ownership.
Barrick Mining, previously called Barrick Gold, and Mali's military-led government have been at odds since 2023 over the implementation of a new mining code that raises taxes and gives Mali's government a greater share in the gold mines.
Operations at the mines were halted after the government in January seized around 3 metric tons of gold, accusing the company of not fulfilling its tax obligations. The government had been blocking Barrick's gold exports since early November.
Barrick has said it can only resume operations when the Malian government removes restrictions on gold exports.
Gold prices have surged some 28.5% in the year to date, having gained 27% in 2024. The market hit a record $3,500.05 per ounce on April 22.
Mali's government, a shareholder in the mining complex, last month asked the Bamako Commercial Court to appoint a provisional administrator to take over the mines as negotiations between the two sides continued.
Mali's demand that Barrick migrate to the 2023 mining code remains the key sticking point in the negotiations, two people close to the matter told Reuters.
The government has renegotiated agreements with other multinational miners under the new mining law. Four Barrick employees have been detained since November 2024 and an arrest warrant was issued for Chief Executive Mark Bristow in December 2024.
Barrick has publicly rejected the charges against its employees, without specifying what they are. According to a court document reviewed by Reuters, they include money laundering and financing of terrorism.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana to announce World Cup squad on June 1 – Kurt Okraku
14 minutes -
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
2 hours -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
2 hours -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
3 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
3 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
4 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
4 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
5 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
5 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
5 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
7 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
8 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
8 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
8 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
9 hours