A quarrel that ensued between two lovers over a new television set has resulted in the death of a 32-year-old woman, after she was subjected to severe beatings by her boyfriend.
The deceased, Vida Oteng, was mercilessly beaten by the suspect, Kwabena Awuti Sampson, also believed to be in his 30s, during the misunderstanding between them after he had finished fixing the television set in the room of the deceased at Dormaa Ahenkro in the Brong Ahafo Region Saturday evening.
The Dormaa Municipal Police Commander, Deputy Superintendent of Police, Mr Yusif Mahmud, who confirmed the story said Vida, after the incident, rushed to the police station with blood oozing from her nose to lodge a complaint about the assault, but she collapsed and died shortly on arrival at the Dormaa Presbyterian Hospital.
Mr Mahmud said the suspect had subsequently been arrested and was in police custody assisting in further investigations while the body of the deceased had been deposited at the mortuary of the same hospital.
He said Vida had invited the suspect, who is a television repairer, over a phone call earlier in the day of the incident to come and instal a new television set she had bought but the suspect delayed in coming.
Mr Mahmud said Vida, therefore, decided to carry the television set to another repairer in town for him to fix for her, but on her way she met the suspect and they both returned to the house of the deceased.
DSP Mahmud said after the suspect had finished setting the television, a quarrel ensued between the two lovers in the room, but some eyewitnesses separated them.
He said the suspect, who left the house, returned later to demand his share of a meal which the deceased was preparing, but Vida, who was still enraged by the attitude of the boyfriend, hit him with the pestle she was using to pound ‘fufu’.
The suspect, who was not pleased, pounced on her and subjected her to severe beatings, Mr Mahmud said.
He said after they were separated, Vida went to the police station to lodge a complaint about the assault and in the process collapsed.
- Social media reacts to KT Hammond’s criticism of youth who hooted at Akufo-Addo
- ‘I get only ¢47 as pension’ – Nkrumah’s bodyguard laments life after president’s death
- “Very frustrating” – Asamoah Gyan on Black Stars midfielders not passing to strikers
- Footage for Akufo-Addo’s tourism video was acquired legitimately from an agency – GTA on Kirani Ayat’s theft claims
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- You can’t lead Ghana with your coconut heads – KT Hammond to those who booed Akufo-Addo
- Finance Minister to announce 5-member committee as part of moves to protect financial system
- ‘They were cheering him’ – Okraku-Mantey on Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival
- NDC dissociates itself from Akufo-Addo’s booing; says incident reflects mood of Ghanaians
- The art exhibition that took Christian rituals literally brutal
- Moussa Dadis Camara: Guinea’s ex-military ruler on trial over stadium massacre
- Ethiopia’s Tigray war: Satellite images capture troop build-up near Eritrea border
- Joining UN Global Compact a step on the right path to ensuring investor confidence – DBG CEO
- Araba Opoku inspires hope, beauty and satisfaction from struggle in Whispers Down The Lane exhibition
- Roselyn Felli receives two nominations at NCA Awards 2022
- ‘Ghana is the No.1 tourism destination in West Africa’ – Deputy Minister of Tourism, Arts & Culture
- Fitch downgrade unfortunate, further depresses our bonds on international market – Ofori-Atta
- DBG signs UN Global Compact, pledges to abide by 10 principles for sustainable business and governance
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- Liberia rice shortage causes panic-buying
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- Livestream: PM Express discusses Black Stars’ poor performance and preparations for World Cup
- 2022/23 betPawa PL: Asante Kotoko beat Nsoatreman in outstanding matchday 1 fixture
- Podcast: Are Black Stars ready for Qatar after friendlies against Brazil and Nicaragua?
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia