Audio By Carbonatix
A Canadian man is suing a hospital over surgery he claims left his penis one inch shorter - and ruined his marriage.
The unnamed man - who is also paraplegic - was rushed to hospital in 2011 with a fractured appendage.This was an injury sustained while having sex with his wife, according to the lawsuit filed last week.
A fracture can occur when there is trauma to the erect penis. If it is bent suddenly or forcefully while engorged, the trauma may rupture the lining of one of the two cylinders in the penis (corpus cavernosum) responsible for erections.
The injury is often accompanied by an audible cracking sound, then dark bruising as blood escapes from the cylinder.
This patient underwent surgery to try and repair the damage, but this reportedly left a 'permanent scar' on his penis - and reduced its length by 'about an inch' (2.5cm).
The man, from Montreal, claims he was unable to have sex for two years and his wife eventually left him.
He is now seeking Can$155,000 ($142,680 / £84,073) in damages for negligence and 'indescribable anguish', the Canadian agency QMI reports.
He told staff there: 'This has caused a greater impact on my life than when I lost the use of my legs.'
The lawsuit claims that after arriving at hospital, a nurse assessed the injury without performing a physical examination.
An off-site urologist then diagnosed him with 'mild trauma' to the area and he was sent home - again without being examined, it is claimed.
It was only three months later - when he still couldn't have sex - that he was told he had a fractured penis and would require surgery.
But after the operation, he says he was left with a 'permanent scar' on his manhood.
The lawsuit also claims he had lost 'about an inch' of length - and was unable to have sex for two years, leading to the breakdown of his marriage.
Latest Stories
-
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
20 minutes -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
46 minutes -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
53 minutes -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
1 hour -
Government plans 2,000-acre pharmaceutical innovation park in Osudoku to boost local drug production
1 hour -
Partey undergoes medical ahead of Al Shabab move in Saudi Arabia
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
1 hour -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
1 hour -
Patients face basic sanitation gaps in West African health facilities — WHO / UNICEF
2 hours -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
2 hours -
JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair 2026 opens today at Achimota Mall
2 hours -
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
2 hours -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
2 hours -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
2 hours -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
4 hours