Audio By Carbonatix
Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is set to leave the club with immediate effect, sources have told BBC Sport.
Howe came under pressure last season as Newcastle finished 12th in the Premier League after losing 17 of their 38 games.
The 48-year-old's final match in charge was a 4-1 defeat by Bristol City in a pre-season friendly on Wednesday.
Well-placed sources have indicated a measure of surprise from Howe at the club's transfer business so far this summer, though he was aware of the necessity for the club to sell players.
Earlier this year, Howe decided to remain at St James' Park regardless of the inevitability of sales, but his perspective changed over the summer.
In March, Newcastle chief executive David Hopkinson said the club were "not having those conversations" about a change of manager "at the moment".
Newcastle spent in the region of £240m on new players 12 months ago, but Howe was left frustrated by the departure of striker Alexander Isak to Liverpool.
Howe has lost two key players this summer - Sandro Tonali to Tottenham and Anthony Gordon to Barcelona, while Arsenal are chasing captain Bruno Guimaraes.
Howe replaced Steve Bruce as manager in November 2021, and ended Newcastle's 70-year wait for a major domestic trophy by winning the 2025 Carabao Cup.
He led the Magpies to Champions League qualification in 2023 and 2025.
Last season, Newcastle reached the last-16 of the Champions League before losing 8-3 on aggregate to Barcelona.
Their EFL Cup defence ended in the semi-finals, but their league performance was severely underwhelming after finishing fifth in 2024-25.
Newcastle won 84 of their 179 Premier League games under Howe, drawing 38 and losing 57.
He oversaw more Premier League wins than any other Newcastle manager. His Premier League win percentage of 46.9% at the club is bettered only by Kevin Keegan.
Latest Stories
-
Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months
31 minutes -
Togo detains two French journalists and their Togolese fixer
40 minutes -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, August 20, 2026
51 minutes -
GIPA, GUTA outline roadmap to protect informal retail space for Ghanaians
1 hour -
GIPA invites investors to maiden ‘Invest Ghana Summit’
1 hour -
The Algorithmic Gavel: Analysing automated customs valuation, ICUMS and the rule of law in international trade
2 hours -
GRIDCo identifies Akosombo–Volta line fault as cause of widespread power outage
2 hours -
Dodowa-Afienya-Dawhenya road project to be completed by December – Contractor
2 hours -
Galamsey fight must go beyond empty slogans; it requires conscious effort – Methodist Church
3 hours -
GoldBod, BoG should share cost of domestic gold programme – Dr Sarkodie
3 hours -
DGPP losses could leave taxpayers to recapitalise BoG – Prof Bokpin
3 hours -
GAUA suspends strike ahead of August 25 meeting with Fair Wages
3 hours -
Big Push road projects targeted for completion by end of 2027 – Suhuyini
3 hours -
Early morning blackout disrupts power supply across several regions
3 hours -
Youth Ministry to publish programme data online to boost transparency
3 hours