Some officials of some notable shopping centres in the Greater Accra region have been grabbed by officers of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) for issuing fake Value Added Tax (VAT) invoices.
The shops include China Mall, Sneda Shopping Centre, Palace Mall and Second Cup Coffee all on the Spintex Road, as well as Shoprite at the Junction Mall in Nungua.
The exercise was undertaken by a joint team from the GRA, and the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service.
The exercises is part of moves by the GRA to boost revenue mobilisation through enforcing the tax laws.
Speaking to journalists, the Commissioner for Domestic Revenue at the GRA, Edward Gyambrah disclosed that some companies engaged to pilot the electronic VAT system tampered with it and compromised the system.
“Some of these tax payers who are supposed to be hooked on to the Commissioner General’s invoicing system are not fully complying with the directive and we realized that some were issuing invoices outside the system and this is an infraction of the law” he said.
He explained that operations is a continuation of the electronic VAT enrollment system which was introduced by the Authority in the last quarter of 2022.
Meanwhile, Enforcement Manager in charge of Accra at the GRA, Joseph Annan disclosed that all the managers who have been arrested will be made to face the law court.
“We’re expected to begin prosecution on them immediately because they want to take us for granted” he told Joy Business.
The exercise is expected to continue until all the selected shops for the e-VAT system comply with the law.
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Playback: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- U23 AFCON 2023Q: Black Meteors held to 1-1 draw in Algeria
- Principal fired after Florida students shown Michelangelo statue
- Vatican returns Parthenon sculptures to Greece
- Chad nationalises assets belonging to Exxon Mobile
- NPP Bono Regional Organizer supports TESCON with 200k
- Mbappe scores in France heavy win over Netherlands
- This woman left her AirPods on a plane. She tracked them to an airport worker’s home
- Cedi depreciates by 22.1% in March 2023 – BoG
- I am not ready to die – Bagbin says as he calls for adjournment of prolonged sitting
- Ghana’s debt unchanged at ¢575.7bn – BoG
- Government makes additional payment for outstanding coupons
- Speaker congratulates approved ministerial nominees
- Playback: One-on-one with Prof Ofori Birikorang on PM Express
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- 1.4 million tons of food are lost annually along the food chain