Chief Executive of the defunct gold dealership, Menzgold Ghana Limited, Nana Appiah Mensah has been spotted at the Accra High Court court premises this morning.
This comes after Attorney General, Godfred Yeboah Dame filed new charges against him on August 30.
The CEO, popularly known as NAM 1 was flanked by two other individuals in the company of a policeman.
Mr Appiah Mensah has been charged with 36 counts including abetment, defrauding by false pretences, carrying on deposit-taking business without license, unlawful deposit-taking, money laundering among others.
This is a reduction from the initial charges of 61.
The Attorney General commenced the prosecution of NAM 1 in 2019 where he was accused of defrauding thousands of customers through his gold dealership firm over millions of cedis.
The case has witnessed a number of adjournments until fresh charges were filed on Wednesday, August 30, 2023.
The amended charges come after Mr Appiah Mensah announced plans to release locked-up funds to Menzgold customers after payment of roughly GH₵650 for verification.
Subsequently, he reversed the decision to require former clients to purchase a verification Access Card in order to verify transactions and validate claims following strong backlash from his customers and the public.
“Menzgold would cease the production and printing of the PVC Digital Access Cards, which imposes a cost burden,” the defunct company said in a communique.
Speaking on JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, September 2, the lawyer said “there is a lot of hope, I think we have a relatively new AG who is trying to distinguish himself from other AGs.
“So, hopefully that will push him to make a mark, and one of the ways is through a high-profile case such as this.”
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police arresting protesters without a warrant was unlawful – Inusah Fuseini
- Photos and videos: Protesters hit the street on day 3 of #OccupyJulorbiHouse demonstration
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Organisers of demonstrations must respect the law – Gary Nimako
- Ghana is in a leadership crisis; African leaders lack consciousness – Prof Adu-Gyamfi
- MMALABS signs MoU with Spintex Medical Center to boost quality healthcare
- NPP flagbearer race: Bawumia suspends campaign over ongoing limited registration exercise
- Sharaf Mahama celebrates 26th birthday with donation and reading session with kids
- I’m not the 3rd richest man in Ghana – Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned