Mick Schumacher will graduate to Formula 1 with Haas next year as Formula 2 champion despite a difficult final race of the season in Bahrain.
The German finished 18th and won the title by 14 points from Britain’s Callum Ilott, who was 10th in the race.
Schumacher, the 21-year-old son of F1 legend Michael, said he was “a bit overwhelmed”.
“I don’t really understand I am champion yet,” the Prema driver said. “It’s going to take a few days maybe.”
He said “owed” the title to his team, adding: “It would sound a lot better if we did a good race today.
“Nevertheless, we are champion today and people will forget this race and remember the good times this year.”
Schumacher, a Ferrari young driver, was racing close to the front in the early stages of the race but damaged his tyres and had to pit to replace them. He returned to the track to set the fastest lap.
The race was won by India’s Jehan Daruvala, from Japanese Yuki Tsunoda, who clinched third in the championship behind Schumacher and Ilott.
Tsunoda is also expected to move up to F1 next year with Red Bull’s Alpha Tauri team, although this has not yet been confirmed.
Russia’s Nikita Mazepin, who is joining Schumacher at Haas in 2021, finished the race ninth and was fifth in the championship.
- Final year SHS student allegedly commits suicide at Barkoniaba
- DCOP Opare Addo vows to take action against Delta Force following his attempted forceful removal from office
- We pay ‘big money’ taxes and yet they burn our equipment – XtraGold Mining Company
- NSMQ 2021: Archbishop Porter Girls’ outshines St Augustine SHS to qualify for National championship
- Ayew gives Swansea narrow lead over Barnsley in Championship play-offs
- DCOP Opare Addo recounts chilling account of how he was harassed by members of the Delta Force
- Speaker Alban Bagbin urges SALL residents to petition Parliament
- Banks to soon adopt only National ID card as primary source of identification
- Those who created the national security monster have lost control – Kwasi Aning
- I was traumatised by police sirens – Koku Anyidoho on his National Security experience
Be cautious of inherent risks of digital transformation – GCB MD
Government charged to mobilize domestic resources to deal with rising debt situation
Livestream: Government addresses nation on Covid-19 vaccination Phase II
DCOP Opare Addo had no locus to be in office, his contract has expired – National Security Coordinator
Ghanaian-German Centre for Job launches ‘Ghana Job Fair’ to tackle youth unemployment
Teenage pregnancy surge as Upper East Region records 6,533 cases
We must protect each other against covid-19 – Imperial General Assurance MD
MUSIGA to set up new Election Committee – Ras Caleb
DSP Azugu being at post is a dereliction of duty on IGP’s part – Agalga
How to know when it’s time to end a toxic friendship
Assault on Citi FM journalist: NMC writes to National Security Ministry for update on investigations
India unlikely to resume sizable Covid-19 vaccine exports until October
Lands Minister, Abu Jinapor embarks on aerial tour of River Pra
Hospital consultation made easy using Bisa App
Tamale police arrest 3 suspected kidnappers