Audio By Carbonatix
The Minority in Parliament is demanding details of the $100m allocated by government to the fight against novel coronavirus.
According to the Majority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu, the Minister for Finance must furnish the House with the further particulars to ensure accountability even as measures are rolled out towards ensuring prevention and containment of the virus.
President Akufo-Addo, in a public address on March 11, stated that the setting aside of the funds was necessary to step up the county’s preparedness to fight the disease.
“At my prompting, the Minister for Finance has made available the cedi equivalent of $100 million to enhance our coronavirus preparedness and response plan,” the President said.
Information Minister subsequently told Evans Mensah on Joy FM’s Top Story the following day that the said fund was sourced from the Consolidated Fund and other donor partners committed to the fight against the disease.
The World Bank had earlier made available an initial package of up to $12 billion in immediate support to assist countries in coping with the health and economic impacts of the global outbreak.
Confirming Ghana's receipt of some support from the Bank, Mr Nkrumah could, however, not readily provide details of the exact amount that hit the country’s account.
On the fraction secured from the Consolidated Fund and other donor partners, he said “I don’t have that in front of me right now but the lump sum is what I am able to share with you as the President mentioned.
But speaking on the floor of Parliament today after the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta made a presentation in the House, Minority Leader quizzed, “Why is it conspicuously lost in your statement the state of the $100 million.”
“We want to know whether you have committed the money as was directed by the president and for what purpose,” he added.
The Director of Public Health at the Ghana Health Service on March 15, 2020, confirmed four more cases of the deadly coronavirus in the country.
This brings the total number of confirmed cases in the country to six.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
25 minutes -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
2 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
3 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
3 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
3 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
3 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
3 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
4 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
4 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
4 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
4 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
5 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
5 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
5 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
5 hours