Manchester City forward Erling Haaland is now the highest goalscorer in a single season on another record-breaking night.
The Norwegian striker played impressively and scored five breath-taking goals, including a first-half hat-trick, when his side [City] thrashed RB Leipzig in a 7-0 victory in the second leg on Tuesday, winning 8-1 on aggregate to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League (UCL).
The 22-year-old has now become the fastest and youngest player to reach 30 goals in 25 UCL games.
30 goals in 25 Champions League total games in his career 👽🔵🏆 #MCFC— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) March 14, 2023
…it’s Erling Haaland 🧘🏼♂️ pic.twitter.com/luAgfJJLid
He is also the youngest player to score five times in a single Champions League match, joining Argentina star Lionel Messi and Brazil forward Luiz Adriano as the only players to do so.
Erling Haaland has equaled Messi’s only record in the UCL😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/nAVxyJ55h5— Twilight (@the_marcoli_boy) March 14, 2023
After the game, the City footballing icon admitted to being worn out after every celebration but was realistic about goal scoring which inspires him to play impressively.
Gimme five! ✋😅🔵 #mancity #UCL pic.twitter.com/REPP5m8lkp— Erling Haaland (@ErlingHaaland) March 14, 2023
“My super strength is scoring goals,” Haaland told BT Sport.
“A lot of it is being quick in the mind and trying to put it where the goalkeeper is not. I was so tired after my celebrations.”
The Norwegian forward said he could have scored more goals, however, he missed a lot of chances.
“I could have scored more goals, I missed a lot of chances but the most important thing is to come to chances because when you come to chances, that’s what you want as a striker”, he told CBS Sports.
On Twitter, football fans across the globe have commended the 22-year-old old for his stunning performance and record.
Most comments say that the Club’s manager [Pep Guardiola] denied Haaland of becoming the first player to secure the most goals in a single match of the UCL competition.
Pep Guardiola subbing Erling Haaland off to preserve Messi’s historical record in the UCL of 5 goals in a single game — Owuraku Ampofo (@_owurakuampofo) March 14, 2023
This man here blocked Erling Haaland chance of becoming the player with most UCL goals in a single match because of Messi. Pep Guardiola will never win the UCL again!!! 💔💔🥺 pic.twitter.com/L0TSvc8IPQ— Alpha SarkCess (@AlphaSarkces) March 14, 2023
The Man of the Match winner is now on 39 goals for the season in all competitions, the first City player to reach that figure in a single campaign.
His five hat-tricks are three more than any other player in the big five leagues.
See more reactions below.
Erling Haaland: “I’ve told Pep Guardiola when I went off: ‘I would love to score a double hat-trick!’. But what can I do?” 🤷🏼♂️ #MCFC— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) March 14, 2023
“I really love this competition, I love the Champions League”. pic.twitter.com/ARFDQBOGgE
Erling Haaland will break every UCL record Messi has before age 30. pic.twitter.com/CusZYeuLjG— frederick nuetei (@thatnueteiguy) March 15, 2023
Pep Guardiola: “Denying Erling Haaland the chance to score six goals vs RB Leipzig was best — If he would have achieved that at 22 years-old, he would be bored in his future!” 🔵 #ManCity— Topskills Sports UK (@topskillsportuk) March 14, 2023
“He’s fantastic player, everybody can see what he does when on the pitch. He always focus” pic.twitter.com/yKFtagKTXM
- Mobile Money transactions in only 2 months of 2023 hit ¢264.1bn
- We would all have sworn to Antoa if my dad was alive – Zanetor Rawlings
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Kamala Harris urges Ghana’s creditors to help meet debt obligation amid IMF talks
- Speculation that NDC imposed its decision on Minority Caucus is untrue – Sammy Gyamfi
- Popular American filmmaker Spike Lee is in Ghana
- T-Bills auction: sales undersubscribed by 23%; interest rates remain stable
- BoG increases policy rate to 29.5%; loans to remain expensive
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- We’re committed to helping Ghana resolve current economic crisis – China assures
- NDC’s ‘betrayal’ may have been the result of several factors – Dr. Seidu Alidu
- Taking pictures, videos of ballots was not a party directive – Murtala Mohammed
- NDC as a party did not fail Ghanaians – Kofi Adams
- There had been broad consultation, consensus to reject President’s ministerial nominees – Murtala Mohammed
- Israel Laryea is away “on loan” at Influencer Africa
- Patriotism won over partisanship – Annoh-Dompreh on approval of six ministerial nominees
- Playback: PM Express discuss NDCs betrayal
- Fight against galamsey will be won if Akufo-Addo loses power – Kwakye Ofosu
- People fail in life due to their mindset – Motivational speaker
- Become the voice of climate change reporting – Climate Change Fellows urged
- Destination Ghana Global Project announces This Is Africa Festival
- Kamala Harris features Black Sherif, Amaarae on Spotify playlist
- Kwaebibirem United FC to raise funds to support operation of the club
- 9-year-old Fotocopy makes history with two concerts in a day
- Ivy Setordjie: Drinking to a warming globe – Part 1