Audio By Carbonatix
The move to purge the payroll of the Ghana Health (GHS) of ghost names has resulted in the deletion of the name of the Director-General of the Service, Dr E. K. Sory.
Dr Sory found himself among scores of health workers whose names were on the payroll but declared as "ghost workers" during the latest head count conducted within the service.
Victims of the exercise, who are actually at post in various health institutions across the country, have not received any salary since March, this year.
When he realised that his name had been deleted from the payroll, Dr Sory last month wrote a letter to the Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, expressing the displeasure of the service about the anomaly.
In the letter, the Director-General wondered why those who carried out the exercise failed to check from the GHS before effecting the deletion of the names from the payroll at the Accountant-General's Department.
In Kumasi alone, more than 50 health workers in active service, including those in top management positions, were affected by the Head Count Exercise, which sought to delete names of workers they suspected not to be in active service from the payroll of the Controller and Accountant General's Department.
While some of the affected workers said they were relying on friends and family members for financial support for their immediate needs, others said they had resorted to borrowing from financial institutions and workplaces to enable them to make ends meet.
"We wish to express our displeasure at the inadequate involvement of the service in the validation of the data that was collated across the country during this important national exercise," Dr Sory's letter noted.
The letter, written on April 7, 2008, pointed out that "health workers in active service did not receive their salaries for March 2008".
"The Director-General of GHS is among those who have been affected by this irregularity," it added, and pointed out that the "anomaly stems from the erroneous deletion of names of the affected staff from the payroll following the recent Head Count Exercise, which was carried out in the country's public sector under the auspices of the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning, Controller and Accountant General's Department and the Ghana Statistical Service".
According to the letter, "most of the affected workers were among those who duly filled the relevant forms with their passport pictures".
Dr Sory, therefore, appealed to the sector minister to take urgent steps "to rectify this anomaly to forestall any potential labour unrest in the service".
He, however, urged Heads of the Budget and Management Centres (BMC's) and GHS "to prevail on their respective staff to exercise maximum restraints while efforts are being made to get them back on the payroll.”
Source: Daily Graphic
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Adamus Resources challenges revocation of mining leases, says it was not notified of breaches
7 minutes -
Mineworkers petition Finance Minister over GH¢380m locked-up funds, threaten strikes
9 minutes -
Mental Health Authority takes steps to shut down illegal Kumasi spiritual centre housing 2,000 patients
23 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: St. Hubert Sem edge Bright SHS in three-point thriller to book one-eighth spot
39 minutes -
Association of Medical Councils of Africa to host 28th annual conference at Mövenpick Ambassador Hotel
44 minutes -
ECG’s GH¢200m upgrade spending must translate into reliable power – IES
45 minutes -
Ablekuma North MP supports 500 SHS freshmen with back-to-school items
46 minutes -
Dentsu School of Influence opens Ghana applications for aspiring content creators
46 minutes -
Demystifying Mathematics: Building confidence in young learners
46 minutes -
Journalists must strengthen credibility in digital era – Kwesi Pratt urges  Â
48 minutes -
Benjamin ‘Clean Sheet’ Asare wins GPL Player of the Year, bags $38,000 vehicle from JAC Motors
53 minutes -
‘We need to investigate the ‘system’—IES calls for probe into recent blackouts
54 minutes -
AMCOA conference in Accra to tackle health worker migration, patient safety
58 minutes -
NCA Director-General urges journalists to protect public trust in digital era
58 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Accra Girls make flying start, cruise past Asamankese, Sandema to book one-eighth spot
1 hour